- Establishes the scope, scheduling, co-ordination and interfacing requirements of projects and undertakes the design and the preparation of working drawings, specifications, bills of material and prepares detailed estimates.
- Carries out contract administration and field supervision including instructing contractors on work timing and methods, and interpreting and ensuring conformity with drawings and specifications.
- Initiates site instructions, change notices and change orders to correct errors or omissions in design relative to site conditions.
- Monitors contingency and construction budgets; records and recommends for approval, contractors’ progress claims in accordance with terms of contract and amount of work completed.
- Assists in maintaining records and contract deficiencies and takes appropriate corrective action, ensures proper completion of contracts and arranges for official handover, initiates and maintains warranty records for the period as stipulated in the contract, takes appropriate action to correct failure occurring within warranty period, recording and recommending for release of contractor holdback.
- Drafts tender, Request For Proposals (RFP), Request For Quotations (RFQ), provide bid analysis and prepares report.
- Checks work of contractors to ensure adherence to City by-laws, policies and procedures.
- Co-ordinates and attends site meetings and project team/client meetings.
- Carries out technical work for the planning, design, construction and maintenance of City’s facilities or infrastructure.
- Provides technical assistance in planning and scheduling of work for capital projects. Prepares estimates and layouts. Verifies calculations by inspectors and performs on site visits.
- Prepares specifications, tenders, reports and determines quantity and cost estimate.
- Assists supervisor/project manager with respect to investigating and responding to inquiries and/or complaints from project clients, staff, elected officials and members of the general public.
- Assists supervisor/project manager with instructing, directing, providing technical guidance and expertise and give feedback to program staff, contractors and consultants with respect to projects and insures relevant constructions practices/methodologies, contract documents, City by-laws, codes, legislation and acts are adhered to.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Degree or diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Building Sciences, Architecture or the equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
- Extensive experience in all core areas of responsibility, including contract administration, construction methods, inspection, and occupational health and safety requirements.
- Extensive experience in coordinating multi-disciplined capital construction projects, and in directing the work of consultants, contractors and staff.
- Extensive experience utilizing a variety of software packages, e.g. Word, Access, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of architecture, landscape architecture and/or construction techniques.
- Strong understanding of the Project Management process.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all organizational levels.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Sound judgment in public and personal relations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues, provincial officials, consultants, solicitors and other internal and external clients.
- Proficiency in the use of current office and workplace technology and other computer applications relevant to the work (e.g. statistical analysis, databases, desktop mapping, research, graphics, etc.).
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and application of the Occupational Health and Safety Act including knowledge of asbestos, silica, confined space, shoring, and legislation.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2263525 and the job classification title.