- Establishes the scope, scheduling, co-ordination and interfacing requirements of projects and undertakes the design and the preparation of working drawings, specifications, bills of material and prepares detailed estimates
- Carries out contract administration and field supervision including instructing contractors on work timing and methods, and interpreting and ensuring conformity with drawings and specifications
- Initiates field changes to correct errors or omissions in design relative to site conditions, recording and recommending for approval, contractors’ progress claims in accordance with terms of contract and amount of work completed
- Assists in maintaining records and contract deficiencies and takes appropriate corrective action, ensures proper completion of contracts and arranges for official handover, initiates and maintains warranty records for the period as stipulated in the contract
- Takes appropriate action to correct failure occurring within warranty period, recording and recommending for release of contractor holdback
- Drafts tender, Request For Proposals (RFP), Request For Quotations (RFQ), provide bid analysis and prepares report
- Checks work of contractors to ensure adherence to City by-laws, policies and procedures
- Co-ordinates and attends site meetings and project team/client meetings
- Carries out technical work for the planning, design, construction and maintenance of City’s facilities or infrastructure
- Provides technical assistance in planning and scheduling of work for capital projects. Prepares estimates and layouts. Verifies calculations by inspectors and performs on site visits
- Prepares specifications, tenders, reports and determines quantity and cost estimate
- Assists supervisor/project manager with respect to investigating and responding to inquiries and/or complaints from project clients, staff, elected officials and members of the general public
- Assists supervisor/project manager with instructing, directing, providing technical guidance and expertise and give feedback to program staff, contractors and consultants with respect to projects and insures relevant constructions practices/methodologies, contract documents, City by-laws, codes, legislation and acts are adhered to
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Degree or diploma in Engineering (P.Eng), Building Sciences, a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or the equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
- Considerable experience in the methods and techniques of project design and construction including contract management, preparing RFP’s and tender documents, preparing budgets and schedules, and maintaining financial records.
- Experience in the application of the ESA, TSSA, OBC, OHSA, and other applicable regulations.
- Experience in coordinating multi-disciplined capital construction projects.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License would be an asset.
- A Project Management Professional Certificate would be an asset.
You must also have:
- Thorough understanding of project management construction practices, materials and methodologies. Strong understanding of the Project Management Process and project coordination.
- Strong knowledge of legislation related to the design and construction industry including relevant building codes, ESA codes, City policies and procedures.
- Excellent writing skills and awareness of other communication tools.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others in a multidisciplinary team.
- Familiarity with Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD), and the ability to read and interpret construction drawings, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, plan and execute a variety of tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to travel to various work locations throughout the City of Toronto.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at Stacey.Hanks@toronto.ca