|Position Summary :
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus, university known for academic excellence and a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose. Laurier has a distinct commitment to teaching, research, experiential learning, sustainability and scholarship, which combine to address critical challenges in society, business, the economy and the environment – globally and in the communities we serve. At Laurier’s heart is its strong student focus, which results in exceptional levels of student satisfaction and a deep sense of community that lives on through the university’s highly engaged alumni.
Laurier takes pride in building meaningful relationships with colleagues and students. The Laurier community supports one another, encourages collaboration and teamwork and respects work/life balance, all while recognizing the importance of a challenging, rewarding and inspiring career. Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto.
Diversity is one of Laurier’s core values. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as a Coordinator, Graphic Design and Digital Productions (Athletics).
Reporting to the Associate Director, Business Operations, the Coordinator Graphic Design and Digital Productions (Athletics) will provide digital brand guidelines to the Department of Athletics and Recreation and while providing guidance to Student Placement Photographers, Videographers, and other student leaders.
This position is responsible and accountable for planning, creating, and delivering digital and print content in support of integrated marketing and communications programs. The Coordinator Graphic Design and Digital Productions (Athletics) will directly report into the Associate Director, Business Operations and is responsible for the branding and imaging of all impressions that are used by the department while developing and growing social media strategies and tactics that enhance the Department’s engagement and brand amongst the University Staff, Faculty, and Students. Social media strategies and branding also serve the external community, including Wilfrid Laurier University Alumni, donors, parents, USports, and Ontario University Athletics (OUA).
The Coordinator Graphic Design and Digital Productions (Athletics) must work in collaboration with the Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing (CPAM) department in developing new media and achieving departmental marketing and student engagement objectives through social media strategies involving blogs, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, “app” development, and other integrated new media strategies.
The incumbent is responsible for executing the department’s creative services and ensuring that a full range of graphics communication services (print design, web content design, multi media design, social media, and photography/videography) are provided for Athletics and Recreation and other departments within Wilfrid Laurier University. The incumbent must also work collaboratively within the broader Wilfrid Laurier University communications (social media and branding) framework. The normal hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Flexibility in hours will be required, including evening and/or weekend work due to the nature of the Athletics and Recreation environment. When possible, the manager will adjust the work schedule so that no more than 35 hours are worked in a week.
||Brand Development and Oversight
- Develop and maintain department social media/ branding guidelines and standards in alignment with Wilfrid Laurier University design policies and standards.
- Provide input for the Department of Athletics and Recreation on copy content and editorial direction.
Digital and Print Media Development (Technical and Specialized)
- In collaboration with the Coordinator of Communications and Coordinator, Communications and Student Engagement, monitor and maintain the department of Athletics and Recreation social media feeds: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc., as well as ensuring presence is maintained on any new platforms by keeping abreast of emerging social media and trends/strategies.
- Develop and design publication materials for dissemination through both electronic and traditional print media in addition to developing programs and making recommendations to maximize efficiencies in their distribution.
- Define digital personas taking into account both the overall marketing strategy of the department and the targeted audiences
- Conceptualize, render and execute original designs, multi-media and social media strategies, exploring various conceptual approaches.
- Develop written descriptions, copy outlines, thumbnail sketches, and black and white and/or color renderings.
- Conceptualize and design materials for web casting platforms related to OUA and USport requirements.
- Create websites, social media strategies and interactive multimedia designs, including organization, content and interface development.
- Coordinate and oversee the project production process, including liaising with the appropriate internal and external suppliers.
- ‘Pre-flight’ all jobs for digital production. Recommend and implement appropriate production methods ensuring cost-effectiveness and quality.
Research, Planning, and Reporting
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, the incumbent will collaborate in planning, developing, delivering and evaluating digital marketing and communications content strategies.
- Analyze project requirements in reference to the department’s overall marketing plan. Create a comprehensive social media strategy to identify programs that use social media marketing techniques to increase visibility, sponsorship opportunities, brand recognition, membership, and traffic.
- Conduct environmental scans and competitive analyses through peer groups across Canada and the US.
- Create content to guide digital communications design and development.
- Maintain editorial calendar and strategy for digital initiatives that align with the overall marketing and communications strategy for the department.
- Design social media programs tied to tangible business objectives for both consumer marketing and corporate brand development
- Provide ongoing monitoring and reports including performance metrics and benchmarks for digital initiatives. Measure the impact of social media on the overall marketing efforts.
- Research and evaluate emerging new media trends and opportunities for the Athletics and Recreation department.
Collaboration and Training
- Collaborate with other social media professionals within the University and Student related Services to ensure best practice development and integration of strategies and brand.
- Provide social and new media training to co-workers and leadership across the department to ensure maximum understanding, acceptance, and accountabilities regarding these communication mechanisms.
- Collaborate the Manager, Marketing and Events, Coordinator, Marketing and Events and the Coordinator, Communications to ensure integration of overall marketing and promotional plans with digital media strategies.
- Liaise with on-campus recruitment, public affairs and promotions staff to conceive, strategize and execute projects.
- Liaise with Athletics and Recreation staff and sponsors and ensures satisfaction at all stages of design implementation.
- Art direct student photographers/videographer and illustrators and/or provides photographic or illustrative images
- In collaboration with the Coordinator, Web and Technology, monitor accounts for Wilfrid Laurier Athletics and Recreation publications, promotions and identity projects, as well as web, multi-media and social media initiatives
- Manage work flow and production for both digital and traditional print production jobs to ensure projects/tasks are on time with minimal overtime implications.
- Sources external suppliers: printers, photographers, illustrators and media specialists in collaboration with Marketing unit; while providing necessary details to the Facilities team for installation.
- Prepare specifications and obtain quotes for externally produced work in
- A diploma in Broadcast, Digital Marketing or other related disciplines plus a minimum of 4 years’ experience in Digital Media – Video Production experience within a post-secondary environment.
- Proficient in Final Cut Pro X, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Apple Cut, and/or other related platforms
- Possess technical skills in video, audio and post-production
- Familiarity with professional cameras, various HD and SD formats, pre-production/planning, field production, lighting/grip, scriptwriting, storyboarding and photography
- Familiarity in audio recording techniques and editing
- Post-production digital video editing, still and motion graphics design, and video compression for multiple delivery platforms
- Proficient in streaming technology
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficient with Google Drive and Google Docs
- Experience in creating digital content for web casting platforms
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize, make decisions and adapt as needed in a high-volume, rapidly changing environment;Proven ability to thrive in a team environment
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Diversity and creating a culture of inclusion is a key pillar of Wilfrid Laurier University’s Strategic Academic Plan and is one of Laurier’s core values. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any sexual identities and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives at email@example.com. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity and Accessibility at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have strived to make our application process accessible however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007 or email@example.com.