Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become financially better off.
A Best Workplace
Scotiabank is a premier financial institution and Canada’s most international bank recognized as a Best Workplace®, in Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Peru, Chile and Latin America by the Great Place to Work® Institute.
A multinational winning team
Scotiabank is Canada’s international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and parts of Asia. We are dedicated to helping our 21 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management, corporate and investment banking.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scotiabank helps to build bright futures worldwide through ethical banking practices, environmental awareness and a commitment to communities.
By working together, we build strong relationships and create value for our customers. Scotiabank’s Information Technology and Solutions provides global technology solutions support to each of our core businesses – Domestic Banking, International Banking, Global Banking & Markets and Global Wealth & Insurance. Our technology-based solutions enable Scotiabank to achieve sustained profitable growth and a competitive advantage.
Central Processing Technology is responsible for over 90 systems supporting the business lines of Shared Services and Automotive Finance as well as providing a Process Automation platform across branch and shared services channels.
This position will be primarily focused on enhancing the electronic communications platform of comprising customer statements, letters and other customer correspondence, as well as branch support for image retrieval and other branch or shared services support functions.
Systems currently used to deliver this platform include CSF, EMC xPression, iWay and custom applications.
The Director is responsible for:
– managing a set of tasks and techniques used to work as a liaison among various stakeholders in order to understand the structure, policies, and operations of an organization, and to recommend technical / business solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals.
– Directing a team of IT Managers and professionals responsible for the design, development, delivery and support of IT business solutions for a major function and across major business line.
– working with an advanced level of expertise, responsible for the full development life cycle, management of projects/programs, and the direction of technical and business resources within the IT business lines
– working with the business unit management and forms alliances on projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements and vendor management
– effectively manage and supervise departmental and project staff by setting performance expectations, monitoring performance, providing performance feedback and the preparation of performance appraisals. Also, providing counsel, coaching, and arranging for formal training.
– participates in long-range strategy planning and manage policy development to address complex business issues.
This position requires:
– Leadership to encourage and direct the three groups and the variety of sometimes conflicting demands of their time and resources. This includes the identification and development of talent to facilitate this support.
– Customer Focus as the customers of the group include both IT and Business line staff with various priorities and capabilities.
– Executing Business Plans to move the team and the Bank forward on the platforms and services the team provides.
– Providing technological solutions to resolve highly complex, multifaceted problems.
– Setting performance expectations, monitoring performance and providing feedback, both informal and via the performance appraisal process.
– Providing counseling, coaching and arranging for formal training.
– Partners with the management team of Information Technology and Solutions departments translating their business strategies/requirements into technical requirements to meet identified needs and select appropriate solutions that deliver required business benefits and IT objectives.
– Keep abreast of emerging and future trends, best practices and benchmarking in IT solutions in respect to Systems Development’s applications and related architecture requirements.
– Ensure the timely development and/or implementation of solutions. Interprets, applies and monitors return on parameters and performance indicators for all new initiatives supported by the area. Implements a continuous improvement process for production issues to ensure the effective and timely resolution of problems and knowledge transfer.
– Operates as delivery manager for assigned major project(s) with end-to-end responsibility including the definition of requirements to meet business benefits, assessment and management of risk, overall management of project costs, schedule, activities, and quality and contract negotiations.
– Informs staff of current and emerging technologies and their potential application in supporting the Bank’s business objectives.
– Updates and maintains own technical knowledge, identifies and addresses areas for personal development in order to provide a high level of technical advice and guidance.
– Develops staff’s capability to exploit technology and develop skills and expertise to meet current and future business needs by interpreting and applying the strategy, tools and processes developed at Department level.
– Transfer subject matter expertise to other IT practitioners where appropriate.
– Identifies and pursues opportunities to enhance breadth/depth of expertise and knowledge and proactively applies learning on-the-job.
– Actively interprets short and long-term IT strategies with particular reference to the defined area of responsibility.
– Develops and manages section’s business plan consistent with IT’s strategy, values and policies and the strategy of business partners.
– Uses multiple strategies to attract, retain and motivate the highest caliber of IT staff and builds a cohesive team with a shared vision.
Key Accountabilities include:
– Direct the planning and operations of the department to effectively and efficiently meet project and business line user requirements.
– Manage direct reports and technical teams in the areas of scheduling, technical direction, future planning and standard development practices.
– Build and maintain strong working relationships with peers and management within the business lines and IT&S.
– Manage the budget and quality delivery activities for the department.
– Ensure the appropriate scheduling and governance is in place to meet the objectives of the projects and the team.
EDUCATION AND ACCREDITATIONS:
The incumbent must have at least 7-10 years of IT and business/industry work experience.
The incumbent must have systems knowledge and experience (existing systems and new technologies).
The incumbent must have business knowledge and experience (understanding of vision, financial objectives/how business functions and core processes interact/the strategic importance of projects, how they relate to Scotiabank’s goals, how projects interact/impact of change and/or delays in projects).
The incumbent must have process knowledge and experience in scheduling, resource allocation, risk management and systems design.
The incumbent must be experienced in the project management of highly complex technology projects.
The incumbent must be experienced in vendor management, including contract negotiations and managing outsourcers both onshore and offshore.
This position manages three teams in two locations (Stratford and Toronto) and will require travel to Toronto and Stratford for project meetings and other purposes which could exceed regular defined workday hours.
Occasional weekend or overtime work may be required depending upon project commitments and timelines.
Scotiabank is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.