Please note: The salary reflects 2016 rates.
Reporting to the Chief Planner & Executive Director of City Planning, you will be responsible for directing all activities of the Section, with responsibility for planning, development and policy advice with respect to the Committee of Adjustment and Zoning By-law. You will lead a team of professional managers, planners, technical and clerical staff to deliver the Section’s work program, including the development of zoning regulations to address city-wide emerging policy matters, overseeing the operations of the Committee of Adjustment, ensuring compliance with the Planning Act and its Regulations and implementing of Divisional business practices and standards.
- Develops, designs and implements functional policies and programs that make major changes in overall business performance based on long-term needs. Contributes to the continuous improvement of divisional performance through analysis and the development and implementation of sound management practices and procedures, provides program management staff with direction and guidance, processes and tools to increase efficiencies and improve effectiveness of the services provided by this section.
- Directs, through subordinate management staff, all activities of the section, delegating management responsibility.
- Leads and motivates a diverse workforce, ensures effective teamwork, provides resolution to controversial labour relations issues, ensures high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the section, and ensures that the section’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Directs the work program with respect to the operation of, and on-going improvements to, the Committee of Adjustment.
- Directs the work program with respect to the development of zoning regulations to address city-wide policy matters.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of divisional performance through analysis and the development and implementation of sound management practices and procedures, provides program management staff with direction and guidance, processes and tools to increase efficiencies and improve effectiveness of the services provided by this section.
- Represents the City Planning Division at Council and other standing committees and administrative tribunals such as the Ontario Municipal Board.
- Develops strategic direction and vision for the program and leads staff in the development of long range, City-wide policies.
- Participates as a member of the management team in advancing the mission of the City Planning Division by representing the Committee of Adjustment and the Division on zoning related matters.
- Interfaces with citizens and interest groups and facilitates community participation.
- Acts as an innovative leader to demonstrate commitment to the organizational values and principles and forges effective partnerships with various stakeholders.
- Fulfils and discharges required statutory obligations while ensuring that the political and public demands are met.
- Interprets enabling legislation and its impact on the zoning by-law.
- Provides broad leadership to the managers who are accountable for delivering their work programs.
- Participates in complex organizational and management change initiatives and the creation of a workplace that supports and is conducive to a high level of organizational performance. Provides opportunities for intellectual growth, creative teamwork and professional accountability.
- Post-secondary education in public administration, city planning, management or a field relevant to civic management or in a professional discipline pertinent to the job function combined with relevant management training and experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience applying the provisions of the Planning Act, Development Review Process, Provincial Policies and Legislation related to land use planning, extensive knowledge of the Official Plan and Zoning, as well as current regulations.
- Considerable experience making critical decisions and planning, developing, implementing, managing and monitoring multi-faceted, longer term objectives and business strategies.
- Ability to lead change and shift strategic focus within a complex unionized environment; balance diverse stakeholders and public needs and build strong relations with community groups and leaders, elected officials and other senior managers.
- Ability to represent the Chief Planner & Executive Director of City Planning at Council and other Standing Committees.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively manage complex relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong leadership skills which encourage team excitement, enthusiasm and commitment to organizational mission, objectives while recognizing the contribution of staff.
- Excellent and creative problem-solving and negotiation skills.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.