Under the direction of the Elections Manager and as a member of the election management team, the Coordinator Elections will assist with the planning, administration and organization of all aspects of municipal elections, by-elections, recounts, referendums and plebiscites. While Coordinators are expected to support all aspects of the election planning and delivery, the successful candidate will be specifically responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing strategies for the training of voting place staff for all election related events. Support functions of the portfolio include but are not limited to the hiring and training of voting place staff including logistics, preparation of materials and navigating software and systems.
- Researches, develops and recommends detailed plans, policies, procedures and strategies regarding specific program areas
- Creates and maintains project plans and budgets related to election projects
- Analyzes, recommends and implements business processes which ensure an effective service delivery model
- Develops and implements a training model which ensures voting place staff possess the competencies and confidence to assist in the delivery of the municipal election in compliance with the Municipal Elections Act, mitigating risk to the City
- Identifies, permits and coordinates logistics for training more than 15,000 staff
- Develops and maintains partnerships with various stakeholders, both internally and externally, to ensure effective delivery of project initiatives
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work
- Prepares, distributes, receives and evaluates Requests for Proposals (RFP) and Requests for Quotations (RFQ) for election-related projects
- Develops recruitment and training strategies for hiring election personnel and support staff, ensuring business is conducted in accordance with City policies and procedures and relevant legislation
- Evaluates all aspects of service delivery and performance measures and reports back to senior management with recommendations for service improvements
- Ensures all aspects of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act are adhered to in this portfolio
- Considerable experience in training delivery and instructional design for both in-person and online programs.
- Considerable experience hiring, training, motivating and supervising staff including monitoring performance.
- Considerable experience planning and implementing projects and activities in an election environment or related field.
- Project management experience including multiple project assignments, planning, analyzing and execution of these projects with conflicting deadlines.
- An understanding of the complexities of an election event including the understanding of related legislation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Products (i.e., Word, Visio, PowerPoint, Excel and Acrobat Pro).
- Strong communication and the ability to communicate both orally and in writing with City staff at all levels of the organization, diverse interest groups and the public.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and handle confidential matters responsibly.
- Willingness to travel across North America to conduct contract elections.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and establish good working relationships with staff at all levels in the organization as well as external clients.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines, prioritize and deal with conflicting work demands in a fast-paced environment.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job #2261573 Coordinator Elections.