Job Posting: Environmental Education Summer Camp Counsellor
The High Park Nature Centre is seeking enthusiastic and energetic nature lovers to teach summer camp programs! Environmental Education Summer Camp Counsellors will deliver fun and educational nature programs in High Park.
***This position is for people who identify as Indigenous. All candidates must be registered with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training and working with an Employment Counsellor. If you haven’t registered with Miziwe Biik yet, you can still apply to this position.***
- Some weeks: Lead camp groups of 6-10 children age 4-12;
- Some weeks: Supervise children during before care or after care;
- Teach outdoor environmental education programs through songs, games, hikes, crafts, and hands-on activities;
- Collaborate with other Nature Interpreters to create and amend programming;
- Mentor and engage volunteers in programming;
- Communicate with parents and the public;
- General maintenance and cleaning of the Nature Centre;
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with in educational and/or recreational programs, preferably outdoors;
- Experience with day camp or overnight camp an asset;
- Strong ability to work with children, and able to provide a positive learning experience for participants of all ages;
- Experience with behavioural management and conflict resolution;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Toronto’s ecology and natural history an asset;
- Demonstrated ability for effective teamwork as well as independent work;
- Creative and enthusiastic with excellent problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and fun;
- Able and willing to work outdoors in all conditions;
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates or willingness to acquire; and
- Current Vulnerable Sector Check or willingness to acquire.
- Professional teaching experience;
- Interpretation training for teaching about nature;
- Getting to play outside every day;
- An opportunity to study, explore and research the unique ecology of High Park;
- Bonding with other nature lovers!
Full time (35 hours / week) contract June 24-August 30, 2019.
Rate of Pay:
$15 / hour
Please email your resume and cover letter as one PDF file to Mallory Parks at email@example.com and Jon Hayes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
***This position is for people who identify as Indigenous. All candidates must be registered with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training and working with an Employment Counsellor. If you haven’t registered with Miziwe Biik yet, you can still apply to this position. ***
Aboriginal Employment and Training