Competition Number: YFNED-EXDIR-01
About the organization: The Chiefs Committee on Education are the interim Board of Governors of the Yukon First Nation Education Directorate (YFNED), and they are seeking a strategic, innovative, executive professional to be a responsible leader to manage the organization in accordance to their strategic direction. In 2018-2019, the YFNED was created by the Chiefs Committee on Education to undertake research and policy development and promote capacity development with respect to the development of the Yukon First Nations Education system. The organization intends to establish a primary and secondary school system in the Yukon that provides high-quality education to students consistent with First Nations cultural values, principles and perspectives.
Duties and Responsibilities: The role of the Executive Director is to set up and operationalize the organization by participating in developing a vision and strategic plan; develop an operational plan; oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services; determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery; prepare a comprehensive budget; establish public relations with stakeholders (community groups, funders); and oversee risk management and its implementation.
Qualifications and Experience: Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference. Candidates must have a Post-Secondary degree from a recognized university in Education or another field related to Education and/or Business Administration. A minimum of 5 years of direct relevant senior management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experiences will be considered.
Competencies and Abilities: Candidate must be knowledgeable about First Nations education, and work undertaken in education in a First Nations context, and also possess:
- Significant knowledge of current First Nations Education challenges and opportunities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of organizational planning, human resources management, financial management and project management.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation applicable but not limited to not-profit organizations (statutes, regulations, corporate law, employment standards, health and safety etc.).
- Demonstrated superior verbal and writing communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience in proposal development, including, but not limited to, negotiations with government bodies.
- Ability to use Information technology (Microsoft Office suite).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Ability to handle emergencies and the ability to maintain control in difficult situations.
- Ability to work co-operatively with others in a team environment, while providing work direction.
Salary: An internal salary grid offers competitive salaries, benefits and a pension plan including relocation assistance.
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Closing Deadline: February 5, 2020
Duration: Full-time, permanent
For those individuals who wish to apply, please reference the above competition number and submit a cover letter clearly demonstrating how they meet the above criteria along with a current resume, with three (3) work related references to:
Yukon First Nation Education Directorate
Only those candidates invited to an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be held in Whitehorse, YT.
(At any time, YFNED may cancel, postpone or revise employment opportunities.)