Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Facility Attendant within our Economic Development & Culture Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a “Current Part-time employee” in the “Custom Information” section of your on-line application form, and provide your “Employee Number” in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
- Works with staff in the provision of building security, fire safety and evacuation, event assistance and client service during events occurring at City of Toronto cultural facilities.
- Performs custodial and cleaning duties in City of Toronto cultural facilities, including clean/wash/dust/disinfect bathrooms, kitchen and food service areas, offices, historical and cultural spaces and interior public spaces, sweep/wash/vacuum floor and stair surface, empty, collect and remove garbage and recycling to appropriate external bins.
- Maintains custodial areas and orders cleaning supplies and paper products.
- Maintains safe exterior access to facilities, including shovelling snow and salting walkways, clearing debris.
- Performs regular inspections of various building equipment and systems, maintains inspection logs and reports necessary repairs to site supervisory staff, e.g. HVAC, pest control, elevators.
- Responds to on-site assistance requests from rental clients and the general public including handling cash occasionally.
- Performs tasks and provides direction to others as required, for set up and/or take down of furniture and equipment for various events.
- Opens, closes and monitors facilities during hours of operation including covering reception.
- Attends scheduled staff meetings, training sessions and fire drills to help ensure a safe workplace.
- Considerable experience performing a full range of cleaning and custodial tasks in a museum and or heritage building setting
- Experience working in a public facility with responsibility for building operations and customer service
- Experience working with building systems, such as HVAC and pest control
You must also have:
- Ability to perform a range of moderate to strenuous physical tasks
- Good communication skills with proven client/customer service skills
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the provisions that apply to this work, including current WHMIS legislation
- Current First Aid training or a willingness to complete this training Experience in a cultural or museum environment is an asset
- Required to workdays, evenings and weekends
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.