The ISHS Faculty Advisor is an Indigenous health professional with a faculty appointment in the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) at McMaster University. Working in collaboration with the ISHS Director, the Faculty Advisor (ISHS) is one of the FHS representatives on McMaster’s Indigenous Education Council. The Faculty Advisor (ISHS) reports to the Associate Dean (Health Professional Education) FHS.
The responsibilities of the Faculty Advisor (ISHS) include the following activities:
Work closely with the Director (ISHS) to facilitate the mandate of the ISHS office; student career counselling; provision of information about the applications and admissions processes of FHS education programs.
Liaise closely with the ISHS Director and leaders of FHS education programs and their admissions’ offices to develop pipeline initiatives to reduce barriers facing Indigenous students wishing to pursue careers in the health sciences.
- Provide strategic and academic advice and advocacy for the inclusion of increased Indigenous health curriculum in FHS education programs.
- Develop and maintain a work-plan in consultation with the ISHS Director to set strategic benchmarks and outputs for the IFA role in conjunction with the ISHS mandate.
- Co-Chair the Indigenous Health Task Force (IHTF) that is an advisory group to guide the vision and strategic planning of the ISHS office and Indigenous health within the FHS.
- Provide mentorship to Indigenous students enrolled in FHS education programs, and, where Indigenous student mentors are in place, support and advise these student mentors.
- Liaise with Indigenous faculty and Indigenous programs university-wide to enhance the Indigenous student experience at McMaster.
- Collaborate with the ISHS office to strengthen partnerships with local Indigenous communities and organizations.
- Represent McMaster University on external committees as required
Time commitment for the position is 0.4 FTE (two day per week) and is stipend at $65,000.00 per year. The position is for three years, renewable up to two times.
Please forward your CV and a cover letter addressed to Dr. Alan J. Neville, Associate Dean, Health Professional Education c/o Judith McArthur-Dawson HSC 2E18 (firstname.lastname@example.org) before Friday February 16th, 2018.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse faculty and staff. The University encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and LGBTQ-identified persons. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection procedure, please contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247).