Manages and provides consulting services and leads/ supports corporate continuous improvement initiatives for senior management in the practice areas of; business process review and re-engineering; program and service review and improvement; quality assurance; customer service improvement, organization development; strategy development and planning; change management; and performance measurement, benchmarking and reporting of results.
- Reviews and re-engineers business processes and work flows, to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, establish service standards, assist in implementing required changes, and utilize performance measures to monitor the improvements achieved
- Applies management concepts and techniques such as Lean and Six Sigma to define an improvement opportunity, measure existing process performance, map and analyze the process to determine root causes of poor performance, identify, test and implement a solution to the problem, and monitor the improved process to ensure those improvements are sustained
- Leads or provides guidance to a divisional business process review team to assist in building and managing co-operative relationships within a division and with other divisions
- Provides client-driven, value-added management consulting services and strategic advice and support to divisions, agencies and corporations through a portfolio of diverse consulting projects and corporate continuous improvement initiatives reflecting practice areas
- Promotes, educates, advocates and applies across divisions, the principles in organizational excellence frameworks such as that of Excellence Canada
- Shapes and defines consulting projects and corporate continuous improvement initiatives in consultation with clients and key stakeholders, determines focus, scope, objectives, methodology, activities and timing
- Designs and implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures for consulting projects and/or corporate initiatives
- Analyzes internal trends, and external comparisons to other cities of performance measurement and indicator results to report on progress being made by the city, to identify areas for study/deeper analysis, and monitors performance after implementation of improvement initiatives to ensure improvements have been achieved
- Collection and management using computer software and technical analysis and interpretation of financial and non-financial data as well as quantitative and qualitative statistics utilized in service evaluation and resource allocation process
- Compare and benchmark Toronto’s performance internally over multi-year timeframes, and externally against other Canadian and world cities, including the identification of best/better practices for service improvement
- Conduct research of different approaches and communication vehicles utilized in the business processes of these cities
- Works in support of project/initiative steering committee and leads cross-divisional/agency teams and working groups
- Directs the project/initiative process and applies methodologies, collects data, conducts analyses, reports findings, draws conclusions and develops recommendations and alternative solutions
- Brings analysis and conclusions forward to the client/stakeholders, chairs meetings and promotes systematic discussion
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limits
- Assumes a temporary, short-term managerial/supervisory role, if appropriate, in an organization unit during the transition or implementation phase of an organizational change project
- Supports management in assessing and devising solutions from a pragmatic and objective perspective
- Provides analysis, policy formulation, coordination, briefing notes, presentations and advice to senior managers regarding programs, services, performance and corporate issues at both a strategic and operational level
- Assists in the assessment and analysis of corporate organizational effectiveness issues and conducts studies and prepares confidential reports with respect to program and service delivery changes; management policies, systems, processes and practices
- Leads and/or supports cross-divisional teams in the development and application of corporate operational policies; identification of a range of options for operations, policies, information systems and management practices; assessment of the implications and viability of each option; and recommends changes to support management priorities and functions and strengthens internal controls
- Promotes organizational learning and facilitates the building of organizational capacity to undertake continuous improvement activities in the various practice areas through coaching, training workshops and other techniques
- Researches, reviews and reports on existing and new management tools and methodologies and advises senior managers on emerging management techniques and other applied social science concepts and their applicability to the City
- Ensures and fosters strong cooperative working relationships with city divisions, agencies and corporations and develops and maintains strategic alliances through representing the City in partnerships with other municipal, provincial, national or international organizations in area of practice
- Establishes and maintains contact with professionals in related fields to ensure skills, knowledge and practice are current
- A post-secondary education in a professional discipline relevant to the job function, such as Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, or combined equivalent of education and experience.
- Extensive experience providing consulting services to senior management in a large organization, in the areas of performance reporting, business process review and re-engineering, program review and service improvement, and strategy development and planning.
- Considerable experience in organization design and restructuring, change management and the use of organizational excellence techniques.
- Considerable facilitation experience at a senior level.
- Demonstrated analytical skills in assessing and reviewing business process to identify options, best practices, and opportunities to improve service delivery.
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office software (MS Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio & Word).
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to work with a team, both within the division and with other divisions and agencies, meet competing priorities and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills with the ability to prepare written reports, deliver effective presentations and use the web to communicate complex information in an understandable way.
- Exceptional interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to establish positive working relationships, develop solutions, and interact and communicate effectively with divisional and agency staff, other municipalities and orders of government, and members of the public.
- Experience in conducting research and developing options, recommendations and reports that support decision-making processes.
- Experience managing complex projects, or strategic and operational reviews within a major public sector organization at the municipal level is an asset.
- Experience utilizing the Lean or Six Sigma methodologies is an asset.
- Project Management certification or accreditation would be an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com quoting the job ID #2262724 and the job classification title.