Please note: The salary reflects 2016 rates.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Acts as the central point of contact for complex inquiries, and oversees the investigation and response to inquiries including the coordination of responses with other City divisions.
- Assists the Executive Director to identify, address and ensure timely response to resolve ongoing and emerging issues, complaints, and customer service deficiencies facing the division and its operations.
- Provides strategic advice, executive-level support and professional judgment on complex and contentious issues.
- Designs divisional action plans for operational practices, and develops strategies/policies/programs, to achieve improved service delivery, issues resolution and customer service objectives.
- Acts as the main point of contact for managing conduct and/or performance complaints, including those received through the Office of the Ombudsman, Auditor General, general public and Council staff, and oversees complaints investigation.
- Conducts internal investigations into allegations of staff misconduct, liaising as needed with field management staff, the Auditor General, Legal Services, Human Resources (i.e. Employee and Labour Relations), ensuring a thorough investigation is conducted and the appropriate corrective actions are taken.
- Maintains central coordination of complaint management response, including managing the division’s complaint management system and reporting.
- Drafts responses on behalf of the Executive Director, and provides guidance to management staff in the response to inquiries and escalated complaints.
- Develops and manages a stakeholder relation framework for the division, including working with Strategic Communications to develop communications materials in advance of initiatives/events
- Utilizes investigation results to identify procedural and training opportunities for improvement and develops the appropriate policy and training material to support continuous improvement.
- Deals with confidential and sensitive information affecting staff, operations and resources.
- Liaises on a regular basis with core service stakeholders to provide assistance and when necessary, to mediate conflicts.
- Provides oversight of the divisional customer service standards and initiatives.
- Coordinates cross-divisional and intra-divisional responses to complex field issues, ensuring comprehensive resolution plans are developed and executed in a timely and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and oversees complainant and stakeholder meetings with appropriate staff to guide issue resolution plans as needed.
- Provides direction and leadership in problem solving and issue resolution to team members in achieving the Division’s established goals and objectives.
- Works with the Director, Policy and Strategic Support to develop, implement and monitor customer service initiatives, and participates with the divisional Customer Service Improvement team.
- Manages, motivates and trains the unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit, and ensures that the unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Coordinates and organizes the daily operations of the customer service function at the local level, liaising with other related divisions, managers, directors and staff to develop and implement innovative systems and procedures for improved customer service.
- Develops and implements effective issues management strategies within the corporate framework, including responding to, managing and tracking a broad range of divisional issues and critical occurrences as well as providing direction and training to peer and subordinate field staff on appropriate response procedures.)
- Executes decisions with respect to relevant legislation and divisional policies and procedures.
- Leads and/or participates on various internal committees responsible for the development of policies and procedures designed to improve efficiencies.
- Fosters and maintains collaborative working relationships with staff across City divisions involved in related issues.
- Manages special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Post-secondary education in a professional discipline related to the job functions (i.e. public administration, business) combined with relevant management training and experience, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Extensive experience managing complex and contentious issues with multiple stakeholders to support continuous improvement in service delivery.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing effective issues management strategies (i.e. assessing, tracking, reviewing and resolving complex customer complaints and issues) within a large private or public sector organization.
- Considerable experience compiling facts and information from various sources in order to develop and implement innovative resolution focused action plans, policies, programs and/or objectives.
- Considerable experience overseeing the investigation of ongoing and emerging customer service deficiencies including staff misconduct and/or performance complaints, issuing timely and appropriate written responses and ensuring corrective actions are taken.
- Experience supervising, leading and developing a diverse team of staff, ensuring high standards of work quality and organizational performance.
- Advanced skills in managing conflicts related to law enforcement and/or other regulatory activities would be an asset.
- Highly developed conflict resolution and problem solving skills with the ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders both verbally and in writing, while negotiating, achieving consensus among parties with different objectives and viewpoints, coordinating responses, and establishing effective working relationships with staff, client divisions, outside agencies, boards, commissions, elected officials and other levels of government.
- Ability to foster an organizational culture that emphasizes innovation, continuous learning, collaboration, transparency, accountability and trust while promoting a strong code of ethics and integrity to support public service excellence.
- Maintains confidentiality when dealing with sensitive issues, including case management.
- An effective decision maker that promotes and fosters teamwork with the ability to manage and execute change effectively.
- Strong leadership ability in a customer service and outcomes focused capacity, with a commitment to organizational objectives and valuing the contributions of staff.
- Skilled at developing and delivering staff training programs, workshops and seminars focused on complaint management and customer service excellence.
- Ability to function effectively in a service oriented, politically sensitive environment, balancing the needs of the organization and customer base against available resources.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and political acumen when providing strategic advice on contentious issues.
- Ability to successfully manage special projects and initiatives.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.