- British Columbia NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Manager, Environmental Services
Manager, Environmental Services
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Hydro One believes in building leaders at all levels and is committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent in a highly professional workforce enabling learning, growth and organizational flexibility. Currently Hydro One has a career opportunity for a Manager, Environmental Services.
The Manager, Environmental Services will lead a team of approximately 10 professional staff in the delivery of environmental requirements. Key areas of accountability relate to Environmental Assessments (EAs) and support of other environmental components of capital and operations/maintenance projects. As a direct report to the Senior Manager, Environmental Programs and Assessment, within the Environmental Services division of Health Safety and Environment, the Manager will provide leadership and specialist environmental support to senior management and staff throughout the company.
The Manager will also track deliverables to support corporate projects and initiatives and consult, influence and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders to enable the company to meet its business objectives.
- Lead a team of professional staff to coordinate the delivery of environmental requirements from environmental assessments, budget estimates, supplemental reports, permits and approvals, construction monitoring etc., per scheduled delivery dates and ensure quality control.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, counsel, and guidance necessary to staff to ensure conformity to regulation, and company direction.
- Support capital construction projects through the entire project lifecycle starting at the EA stage, with identification of alternative, mitigation and monitoring, development of construction specification and other required permits and approvals and field support to ensure environmental effectiveness of mitigation measures.
- Ensure consistency in overall approach for corporate undertakings and application of Regulations such as the Class Environmental Assessment for Minor Transition Facilities and Ontario Regulation 116/01 Electricity Projects.
- Effectively engage and interact with the public, regulatory bodies, Indigenous Communities and other stakeholders and interested parties with respect to Hydro One projects through correspondence, meetings, and other communications.
- Maintain and review consulting service contracts to procure external environmental services, including consultation, heritage resources, natural science, noise and air quality, soil and groundwater assessment, remediation and management and drainage assessments.
- Apply a sound knowledge Environmental Management Systems, Public Consultation approaches, Climate Change and Sustainability, Permitting and Approvals and linear Construction.
- Assign duties and make decisions regarding staff and organizational changes. Provide guidance relative to staff problems and disciplinary issues. Authorize expense reports and administer pay. Provide performance feedback and assess capability.
- Provide environmental services and advice required to deliver the approved capital and operations/maintenance corporate work programs in accordance with established scope, budget and timelines.
- Monitor, evaluate and maintain current knowledge of environmental legislation, best management practices, technologies, developments in other jurisdictions and changes to current environmental approval processes to identify risk and opportunities for the company and to projects and programs.
- Ensure high quality services are provided in a cost effective and timely manner, while ensuring compliance with Hydro One policy, standards and specifications and all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- Support both internal lines of business (project management, real estate, engineering, construction) and external consultants and contractors in ensuring projects and programs meet environmental specifications.
- Maintain effective relationships with regulatory bodies, such as MECP, MNRF, MTCS and Conservation Authorities through regular contact and updates regarding the applicable work programs and procedures and policy that are in place.
- Participate in internal and external Committees as required including attending meetings with other lines of business and participation in professional technical committees such as Canadian Electricity Association (CEA).
- Create value for our customers by managing financial aspects of work programs, and creating labour efficiencies within work programs.
- Demonstrate visible leadership to develop and maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years business experience in the environmental field including the delivery of large environmental assessments and corporate environmental programs, with at least 3 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated experience in completion of high profile Individual and Class EAs and their associated supporting technical studies from planning through to construction.
- Sound knowledge of Ontario permitting and approval process, public consultation, construction specifications and monitoring and climate resiliency.
- Sound knowledge of project management principles including budget and schedules, consultant oversight, and tracking of work flow and deliverables
- Proven leadership skills with the demonstrated ability to lead a team of professionals and influence and collaborate with individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Must possess excellent communication and negotiation skills with a focus on providing project requirements in a manner which meets industry and corporate environmental and sustainability requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and executing work flows and programs affecting multiple lines of business.
- Solid understanding of various environmental legislation, guidelines and industry best practices and experience interacting with regulatory bodies.
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage and meet tight deadlines.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Experience in supporting infrastructure design and construction in the electricity industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Planning, Engineering, Science, or a related field required
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2019.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: July 8, 2019
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: