Reporting to the Manager, Homelessness Initiatives & Prevention, the Manager Food & Nutritional Services will be responsible for managing the operation and program delivery of food services in City operated shelters. This incumbent is responsible for carrying out the duties of their position in a client focused, inclusive manner that supports the policies and procedures of Hostel Services and the Shelter Support and Housing Administration Division (SSHA). Key responsibility areas include:
- Manages all activities of Dietary Services for the SSHA division, including Food Services Supervisors and delegation of management responsibility as appropriate
- Provides direction regarding management of food programs in a shelter environment as well as provides clear guidelines on menu development and manages and evaluates the process of menu planning in all shelters; ensuring the provision of nutritional meals in accordance to Canada’s Food Guide and Toronto Shelter Standards celebrating diversity through inclusive meal planning. Audits Shelter menus regularly
- Provides excellent customer services in responding to client/staff needs and concerns and makes recommendations to resolve
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others
- Supervises the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances with Food Services Supervisors if required and recommends disciplinary action when necessary
- Handles labour relation matters, consulting with others as required
- Supervises assigned management and union staff and ensures compliance with all applicable legislation such as the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and other relevant codes and regulations
- Implements detailed plans, data collection, analysis and performance measures to develop and recommend policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements
- Participates in the design of new food services facilities and/or renovation projects in consultation with architects/consultants
- Implements innovative practices within the delivery of nutrition services in Toronto Shelter services showing leadership in the area of local food procurement, environmental practices, development of healthy eating and food preparation skills in clients and Nutritional harm reduction strategies for diverse client populations that are culturally diverse and include children, pregnant women, men, & women, substance use, compromised mental health and a variety of concurrent illnesses
- Leads Dietary projects and makes recommendations regarding the Dietary area for improvement of client services
- Liaises with other departments, external agencies and contracted vendors regarding information exchange and issues as they relate to the Dietary Services operation
- Participates as part of a management team regarding the provisions of quality care. Represents food services on various committees and acts as liaison between Dietary staff and other areas.
- Leads in the development of Dietary Data Systems regarding controls and performance measures
- Identifies and implements training for all Dietary management and union employees to meet corporate and divisional standards and any current legislation
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget(s), ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Develops, coordinates and maintains procurement specifications regarding requirements for all food and beverage products, food service equipment, cleaning and sanitizing products, disposable products and kitchen small wares for all SSHA Food Service locations to produce contracts and/or purchase orders
- Develops, coordinates and maintains specifications for all services required in all shelter kitchen locations to produce contracts and/or purchase orders
- Develops and maintains processes for effective and efficient food purchasing and distribution that remains within budget limits
- Administers and monitors all contracts and purchase orders in Dietary services to ensure compliance with divisional, corporate guidelines and budget limits
- Develops and ensures the receiving and inventory controls of food supplies are maintained in accordance with corporate and divisional standards and storage of food and supplies, are in accordance with Public Health guidelines and Health & Safety regulations
- Ensures thorough regular audits that sanitary conditions are maintained in food production/service areas following the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points approach and Ontario Food Premises legislation; Ensures the maintenance of food services equipment and premises, in accordance to Health & Safety Regulations
- Develops and/or contributes to the development of Policies and procedures that relate to Food Services in a residential building
- Assists in the response to emergency feeding situations, such as, cold alerts or temporary emergency shelters
- Post-Secondary Education in Food Services Management and/or Nutrition and/or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive experience managing food services operations in an institutional setting that includes a broad knowledge of quantity food production, scheduling, preparation and service, safety and sanitation standards to drive exceptional service standards through the division.
- Considerable experience in managing, coordinating, training and motivating staff which includes conducting performance appraisals, and dealing effectively with day to day labour relations matters in a unionized environment to enable a high-performing and diverse team, through inclusion and continuous improvement.
- Considerable experience in determining budget requirements, performing sound cost analysis with respect to food and labour production to effectively manage financial resources.
- Comprehensive knowledge of nutritional care and therapeutic diets; registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written). Highly developed interpersonal, conflict resolution and problem solving skills with the ability to build effective stakeholder relationships with staff at all levels of the organization, City Council, clients and community partners.
- Ability to deliver a high level of Customer Service, Fiscal Accountability, Innovation, Results Orientation and Teamwork to build effective and efficient strategies that anticipate emerging customer needs within a team lead capacity.
- Knowledge of collective agreements, government legislation in the areas of food handling and sanitation, labour relations, employment, occupational health and safety and human rights to effectively manage staff performance and safety.
- Ability to use various computer applications e.g. Microsoft Office.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.