Reporting to the Director Business Licensing & Regulatory Services, this position is responsible for providing leadership in the effective delivery of Business Licensing and Regulatory Services, Permit Issuance and Administration for the City of Toronto. As a dynamic leader, the Manager is responsible for promoting the mission, vision and values of the Municipal Licensing and Standards Division and the Toronto Public Service. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manages the application, issuance, renewal and appeal processes related to the licensing and permitting of businesses in the City of Toronto, such as taxis, private transportation companies, tow trucks, refreshment vehicles, restaurants, patios and private parking enforcement agencies.
- Ensures that license and permit holders are in compliance with the by-law requirements, licensing standards, financial and reporting obligations, the operating agreement and any other relevant guidelines and regulations upon application and renewal of licenses and permits.
- Manages the preparation of information on matters for adjudication at the Licensing Tribunal, ensuring efficiency of submissions to the Toronto Licensing Tribunal, including establishing a risk-based prioritization process for work.
- Ensures administration of the application, licensing, renewal and appeal processes is delivered with integrity and transparency.
- Provides senior level management guidance, direction and support on the production of inspection records, compilation of results of the inspections, approvals and registration of vehicles to their business license, acceptance of insurance documents, license printing, payments for licensing, etc.
- Approves license suspensions and/or pulling of plates, cancellation of licences or non-issuance of licenses based on failure to comply with application and renewal requirements as set out in the municipal by-laws.
- Provides senior level management guidance, direction and support to all aspects of the licensing activities of the division, including the issuing of licenses and monitoring of vehicles, stationary businesses and trades to ensure they follow all applicable municipal by-laws.
- Ensures the development of quality assurance frameworks and associated procedures required for effective administration of the licensing services.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends and implements policies and policy changes regarding program specific requirements, in a timely and orderly manner following City and industry best practices.
- Manages, motivates and trains a diverse team of supervisors and staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Promotes a culture of continuous learning, integrity, collaboration and encourages innovation in others.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit, and ensures that the unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations. Contributes to the development of the divisional budget.
- Develops and implements performance and outcome measures in support of service goals and objectives to ensure that decisions are based on facts and supported by appropriate statistical data.
- Provides policy advice regarding effective and enforceable implementation of new program initiatives, as mandated by Council and/or reflecting continuous improvement objectives within Licensing Services, including projected human resource and financial impacts and implementation strategies.
- Represents the division in meetings and initiatives with other divisions, agencies, boards and commissions, service providers and other orders of government.
- Ensures effective and efficient delivery of customer service, including training for front-line staff and supervisors, scheduling and forecasting of staff providing services to clients directly through counter, telephone or online support.
- Ensures the effective handling of complaints or problems received from elected officials or the public and takes necessary steps to resolve these issues.
- Reports on matters of policy and divisional decisions in accordance with policy and the various Sub-committees and Committees.
- Represents the Director at meetings to resolve disputes relating to licensing and other controversial matters that require resolution between parties.
- Prepares and approves correspondence and reports to City Council and other Standing Committees on issues related to Business Licensing.
- Provides expert level advice and guidance to elected officials and members of the public on complex licensing issues.
- Liaises with the public, associations, contractors, lawyers and agencies to communicate sound advice and direction with respect to business licensing.
- Responsible to ensure the implementation of Business Transformation and ML&S IT Strategy recommendations for Business Licensing and Regulatory Services
- Supports the development of continuous improvement processes and the evaluation of best practices in licensing compliance.
- Develops briefing notes and reports for presentation to senior management, standing committees and council.
- Supports strategic divisional and corporate initiatives as required.
- Post-secondary education in a professional discipline pertinent to the job function (i.e. public administration, business) or an equivalent combination of relevant training and/or experience.
- Extensive management experience developing, leading, coaching and motivating diverse staff teams, as well as monitoring and evaluating staff performance while ensuring high standards of work quality and organizational performance.
- Extensive experience managing, assessing, reviewing and resolving complex customer complaints and issues in a service-oriented, politically sensitive environment while balancing the needs of the organization, clients and division.
- Considerable experience managing the application, issuance, renewal and appeal processes in a licensing services, permit and administration environment.
- Considerable experience researching, assessing, planning, developing, implementing and monitoring broad scale initiatives including policies, programs, processes and management systems to identify opportunities for service efficiency and customer service excellence.
- Considerable experience in financial analysis and reporting processes including budget development and control, expenditure forecasting, preparation and interpretation of financial reports and reporting of key performance indicators in a large scale public or private sector organization.
- Skilled at developing quality assurance frameworks and business strategies to facilitate the effective administration of licensing services.
- Knowledge of relevant by-laws and government legislation related to business licensing, permitting and enforcement with the ability to interpret complex language.
- Ability to provide expert advice and guidance to elected officials, members of the public, other orders of government and relevant stakeholders utilizing sound judgement, discretion and political acumen.
- Highly developed skills in establishing performance objectives and measures to continuously enhance performance and the standard of excellence in the division.
- Highly skilled at negotiating and achieving consensus among stakeholders having different objectives, with the ability to forge strong internal and external relationships.
- Ability to foster an organizational culture that emphasizes innovation, continuous learning, collaboration, transparency, accountability and trust while promoting a strong code of ethics and integrity to support public service excellence.
- Strong critical thinking and decision making abilities using innovative and outcome oriented leadership.
- Strong ability to be flexible and manage multiple tasks in an environment with shifting priorities, firm deadlines and high performance expectations.
- Highly developed interpersonal, problem solving and conflict resolution skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, including elected officials and senior management.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant policies and government legislation including Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of SAP and workflow management systems/databases would be considered an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2266314 and the job classification title.