Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Electrical engineers within Transmission Asset Management – Standards at Hydro One are engaged in a variety of challenging roles and responsibilities in engineering standard design. You may be hired to work on engineering design standards used by station electrical engineers or protection, control & metering system engineers in power system related to the refurbishment and construction of new transmission and distribution substations and lines, etc., providing engineering technical supports to the installation and testing of the engineering designs or the operations of the power grid.
For standards work in Station Design., you are expected to be involved in station electrical design related to power equipment (e.g. transmission & distribution lines, circuit breakers, power transformers, instrument transformers, feeders, etc.), to produce a safe, constructible, environmentally compliance, economical projects and in accordance with the appropriate Standards and Regulations, such as IEEE and IEC.
For standards work in Protection, Control & Metering, you are expected to be involved in design of power system protection scheme (e.g. protection system fault studies, high voltage line protection, transformer protection, feeder protection, etc.), SCADA system (e.g. substation control network/LAN, monitoring, etc.), metering system involving wholesale revenue metering scheme and other ancillary system in accordance with the appropriate Standards and Regulations, such as IESO, NPCC, NERC, etc.
The positions are located in downtown Toronto Head office. During the first two years of training, all New Grads will have the rotation opportunities to work both at the various head office and field positions/locations.
- Minimum Education: recent graduates from an accredited university with degree in Bachelor of Electrical Engineering.
- Eligible to be a licensed & practicing Professional Engineer within the Province of Ontario (PEO).
- Valid driver license in Ontario.
- Self-motivated, safety-conscious, cost-conscious, customer-focus, timeliness, work independently and capable to be engaged in work with minimum supervision to deliver daily tasks and meet business objectives.
- Good interpersonal skills that capable to establish and promote respect and rapport with colleagues that help to mitigate conflicting expectations or conflict resolutions (e.g. with people & during projects).
- Good oral, written, listening and communication skills that ensure effective exchange of ideas or information with colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Good technical presentation skills that ensure audience could grasp complex (or simple) technical information/ideas.
- Attention to details, quality driven in day-to-day, routine or complex tasks, maintains focus to ensure high quality deliverables.
- Ability to analyze complex problems including power system related problems, breakdown to manageable tasks and implement solutions.
- Basic, practical and technical knowledge in electrical theory, design, analysis and application.
- Good understanding and knowledge/experience in using software applications:
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access) and SharePoint, etc.
- Electrical design tools such as AutoCAD, etc.
- Familiar with general engineering project life cycles, processes, etc.
Candidates selected for this position will be included in Hydro One’s New Grad training and development program. Over the course of this two-year program you will have the opportunity to rotate through several jobs allowing you to gain experience working on different projects and in different environments. In addition, you will be provided with a range of technical and non-technical training. Only individuals who graduated in 2018, 2019 or will be graduating in Spring of 2020 will be considered.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2019.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: October 6th, 2019.
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.