Responsible for food production, food service and nutritional care to all residents and the supervision of all resident food service areas, the incumbent in this position:
- Supervises food production and/or resident/client food service areas which may include Meals on Wheels and special functions
- Assists in the development of standardized menus including therapeutic adaptations
- Ensures prescribed diet is accurately provided to residents/clients Conducts nutritional screening to identify residents with risk issues for referral to the Registered Dietitian
- Completes quarterly nutrition reviews and RAP summaries for residents with low and moderate nutrition risk issues
- Updates care plans to meet nutritional needs of residents with low and moderate nutrition risk,
- Effectively trains, supervises and evaluates the performance of all assigned staff and approves salary increments for such staff, as warranted
- Formulates work schedules for all assigned staff in an efficient manner, authorizes and effectively controls, the overtime work and lieu time for such staff
- Interviews candidates referred to by the Human Resources Department for employment consideration for FSW and Cooks
- Effectively handles day to day labour relations matters, including conflict resolution, the imposition of discipline and the hearing of grievances as required
- May develop, recommend and administer the annual budget for Food and Nutrition Services and ensure that the expenditures are effectively controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Participates in developing and maintaining of a quality improvement program for all resident services and production areas
- Ensures all therapeutic diets are followed in accordance with established Food and Nutrition Services guidelines
- Documents all pertinent resident information following the Resident Planning policies
- Provides representation on Home’s committees, as required
- Ensures that sanitary conditions are maintained in the food production and service areas
- Purchases all food and department related products using divisional contracts and order guides
- Prepares monthly accounting records of purchases and monitors budget expenditures
- Develops standardized recipes, scales recipes and monitors compliance with recipes
- Monitors and controls inventory and related costs
- Develop and maintain preventative maintenance program for all food production equipment and food service areas
- Develop and maintain sanitation program for Food and Nutrition department
- Ensures that all food production areas and food service areas are safe in accordance with occupational health and safety
- Supervises all aspects of food services’ security during operational hours
- Supervises other Food Service areas in the absence of the Co-Resident Food Services Supervisor
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in the operation of healthcare or institutional food services management.
- Experience in nutrition screening and meeting nutritional care needs of clients and monitoring diets.
- Experience in supervising, scheduling and training of staff.
- Experience in the implementation of Ministry of Health, Long-Term Care standards as they relate to food and nutrition.
- Experience in determining budget requirements, performing sound cost analysis with respect to food and labour production and working within budget guidelines.
- Member of the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management (CSNM).
- Eligible for membership in the Ontario Society for Nutrition Management (OSNM).
- Thorough knowledge of quantity food preparation, service, safety and sanitation standards.
- Knowledge of food services methods, materials and equipment employed in a large scale food preparation and serving environment.
- Excellent knowledge of sanitary standards for food service areas and personnel.
- Knowledge of government legislation in the areas of labour, health and safety, employment and human rights.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of food production and scheduling.
- Effective reporting on resident issues to health care team and to resident record.
- Excellent communication ability (both verbally and in writing), at all levels within the Home (i.e. management, front line staff and residents).
- Ability to deliver a high level of Customer Service, Fiscal Accountability, Innovation, Result Orientation and Teamwork.
- Effectively management of human resources and day to day labour relations matters.
- Hours of Work can be up to 70 hours bi-weekly, however, Hours of Work will be decided based on operational needs.
- The salary/rate reflects 2016 rates.
As a condition of employment with the Long-Term Care Homes & Services Division, selected candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Reference Check (PRC) with vulnerable sector screening, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization in accordance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10)
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.