*Please note the Salary/Rate (Yearly) is reflective of the 2016 rates.
Having over 150 approved Information Technology capital projects to modernize and improve public service, we are looking for confident leaders to make a difference in the transformation agenda. We are expecting our candidates to have an outstanding success record of project delivery; use professional methodology and strong stakeholder engagement to achieve results and manage change.
You will provide Project Management services to one (or more) out of 44 city client divisions, by leading complex, enterprise-wide multi-year multi-million dollars initiatives. The projects you will oversee could cover any area in IT – from application development, infrastructure to SAP ERP, CRM, Asset Management systems implementation or upgrades etc. You will work in a delivery focused, PMBOK and Agile driven environments, leading a talented team of project staff and engaging a wide array of executives and stakeholders.
Your primary responsibilities as a Project Manager, IT will be varied. Specifically, you will:
- Be responsible to Executive and Senior management, business and technical stakeholders for assigned projects.
- Manage and lead the development of detailed scope requirements, budgeting, resource management, planning, scheduling, monitoring and reporting progress as well as managing issues, risks and change requests.
- Prepare, manage and control project budgets. Negotiate and document changes involving scope, timelines and budget impacting the project
- Determine project requirements, conducting research and evaluations, and obtaining all approvals and signoffs.
- Lead teams of technical staff, client representatives, contractors, consultants, vendors and other intra/interdivisional stakeholders to implement projects effectively.
- Develop, manage, and report on detailed project plans of varying complexity, recommending policies and procedures to meet program-specific requirements.
- Oversee and conduct recruitment, labour relations, performance appraisal, training and staff supervision, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and performance as well as continuous learning, and encouraging innovation.
- Supervise project staff, including consultants and vendors, in their daily activities, either directly or through your team lead or supervisor within a matrix environment, monitoring performance and compliance, and arranging remuneration.
- Lead, facilitate, and contribute to the design, creation, development and sustainment of corporate IT standards.
- Prepare and/or supervise the preparation of formal contractual documents such as Request for Information/Proposal/Quotation (RFI/P/Q), Statement of Work (SOW), Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Apply the corporate IT project management methodology and adhere to the principles of the Project Management Institute (PMI) and PMI’s Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct to develop and organize project protocols, procedures, relationships, and performance objectives to promote and achieve benefits and performance targets.
- Develop cross-departmental/divisional initiatives to produce synergies and economies of scale, and balance competing and conflicting goals, objectives and priorities.
- Assess and recommend scalable multi-jurisdictional business and technical solutions that meet client and business requirements in relation to corporate standards, policies and procedures for information technologies and architectures.
- Inform and educate senior managers, business users and technology peers on technology trends and the effective use of business and technology solutions and information management.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization.
Your application for the role of Project Manager, IT should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- A university degree in Computer Science or a related discipline (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Considerable experience in Project Management.
- Certification or experience in Organizational Change Management (Prosci ADKAR, Certified Change Management Professional – CCMP).
- Certification in Scrum Master/Agile development project management methodologies.
- CRM experience: SaaS Applications and Cloud Services. Experience with 2 or more of the following technologies: MS CRM Dynamics, SAP, Salesforce, Siebel/Oracle.
- Demonstrated experience with 2 or more end to end transformation projects within the Public Sector: may include Contact Centre, Multi-Channel Service Delivery, Business Process Management, Portal and Online Services, Mobile Applications.
- Project Management Professional certification and ITIL certification are considered a strong asset.
- Considerable experience managing large-scale projects/programs of significant complexity and value with high risk.
- Extensive experience in managing all aspects of transformational enterprise-wide IT projects in complex multi-departmental environments (including budget and timeline management, scope management, estimating and managing project resources, risk management, issues management, timely decision making, critical path identification, business transformation, data transformation/migration, user experience optimization, etc.)
- Extensive experience in stakeholder engagement while working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated experience across all stages of complex, enterprise information management projects, from initiation to closing.
- Extensive experience in using project management tools for planning and implementing complex projects and packages (experience working in a matrix project management environment using tools such as Microsoft Enterprise Project Management and JIRA would be a definite asset).
- Extensive experience in contract negotiations, procurement procedures and Vendor and Contract Management.
- Excellent people management skills; experience working with and managing technical teams in application development and implementation of infrastructure solutions.
- Hands-on experience in preparing a range of project and formal contractual documents.
- Excellent relationship management and consulting skills; ability to quickly earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders, mobilize and motivate teams; set direction and approach, resolve conflicts, execute with limited information and ambiguity.
- Expert presentation, written and verbal communication skills, clarity and precision.
- Effective consulting relationship-building capability with corporate clients and vendors, with a strong customer service orientation.
- The capacity to work effectively both as a team member and collaboratively on a multidisciplinary team.
- The ability to effectively coach, train, and provide work direction to other project staff as well as appraise work outcomes and quality.
- The ability to recommend and implement security, privacy and quality assurance requirements as well as corporate and legislated standards for confidential data.
- Additional experience successfully implementing one or more enterprise solutions for cloud technologies; ERP-SAP; SharePoint; Business Intelligence / Data Governance; capital planning and management of integrated assets; information and data management; documents and records management; application delivery; project governance, delivery methodologies and enabling systems/platforms.
Contribute to the vision of “Toronto better served through innovative Information Technology”
As North America’s fourth largest city and Canada’s financial and business capital, the City of Toronto is seeking innovative, proven information technology specialists to join our dynamic team. Help build a best practice IT organization that will be responsive in meeting the needs of our 240+ different lines of business involving more than 20,000 staff at 600+ sites.
Join our team as a Project Manager, IT within our award-winning IT Division, supporting the City programs and services that ultimately serve approximately 2.8 million residents. The diversity of our IT applications, services and infrastructure mirrors the diversity of our citizens. This includes an infrastructure of over 22,300 desktops/notebooks/workstations, 2,100 servers, 1,000 applications and 1 petabyte of data. We are proud to be recognized worldwide for our successful use of IT to attract leading-edge business, build skills, generate economic growth and improve government service delivery. Our talented teams are behind numerous Online service requests and permit applications, the City’s 3-1-1 Report It Online campaign, and the integration with Canada Post’s ePost Service.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.