Hiawatha is a vibrant First Nation community located on the beautiful north shore of Rice Lake. We are located approximately 20 minutes from Peterborough, ON and 45 minutes from Cobourg, ON. There are approximately 638 registered citizens with approximately 235 residing in Hiawatha. In the summer months our population increases significantly. Hiawatha is an employer that prides itself on diversity and fairness, providing a progressive working environment that fosters culture, positivity and growth.
The RECE will be responsible to plan and organize age appropriate child care activities which have been observed and documented so that they encourage the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of infants, toddlers, pre-school and school age children enrolled in the Hiawatha Child Care Centre. To help facilitate child directed learning using the “How Does Learning Happen” and the Think Act Feel documents from the Ministry of Education along with and Environmental Rating tool that will be done 2x a year to ensure programming and room set up meet the direct needs of children and families. The incumbent must follow the strategic plans of the organization, adhering to the HFN vision and values.
This position will report to the Child Care Supervisor.
Summary of Main Responsibilities:
- Deliver, guide and assist the children in daily planned activities.
- Supervise children in indoor and outdoor play and during rest period.
- Keep records and submit written observations on children to supervisor.
- Assist in the preparation and serving of snacks while ensuring healthy food indicator tool used.
- Maintain child care equipment and assist in housekeeping duties.
- To work co-operatively and as a team member with co-workers.
- To ensure child care activities are in adherence with the Child Care Early Years Act.
- Work cooperatively as part of the Child Care Centre team
- Perform housekeeping duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Promote the vision, mission and values of Hiawatha First Nation
- Post-Secondary Diploma in Early Childhood Education or another relevant diploma preferred;
- Registered or is eligible to be registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators;
- Minimum one years’ relevant experience; or
- Experience in a First Nations setting preferred
- Must provide a clear CPIC and VSC (documentation will be required if successful applicant)
- Must meet Ministry of Education Quality Assurance and Licensing Branch
- Must have up to date immunization and 2 step TB (proof will be required if successful applicant)
- First Aid and CPR an asset (and must be willing to take the training if hired)
- Valid Driver’s License and vehicle
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with computer programs (i.e. Microsoft Office, email and internet
- Knowledge of the Child Care Early Years Act is an asset
- Knowledge with using an environmental rating tool (i.e. ECERS/ITERS/SACERS DECA)
- Passionate about working with children
- Ability to work as an individual and as part of a team
- Well developed interpersonal, public relations and relationship building skills
- Excellent organizational, time and file management skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Familiar with duty to report requirements
- Knowledge of legislation and government agencies an asset
- Must be an empathetic and non-judgemental person
- Must maintain strict confidentiality
- Be honest, respectful and trustworthy
- Be a team player
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be creative and flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethic
- Demonstrate keen attention to detail
- Proven ability to work with people of diverse education, cultural and language backgrounds