Reporting to the Manager of General Ledger Services, the Senior Financial Analyst Corporate Accounting will be responsible for providing financial and business expertise to support the business units of the organization.
- Provides strategic and expert financial, accounting and business analysis and advice on the City’s programs and services.
- Develops and implements accounting policies and procedures.
- Researches best practices and makes recommendations on accounting concepts and models.
- Reviews accounting and administrative procedures in regards to different operating issues and develops policies with recommendations for better internal control and management.
- Reviews the operating and capital budget and makes recommendations on accounting issues.
- Reviews and monitors capital budget expenditures including funding and closing of capital projects.
- Assists Divisions in the standardization of their processes and procedures and ensures consistency throughout the City.
- Reviews Accounting Services Division processes and makes recommendations on the use of technology to facilitate their processes.
- Prepares reports for Senior Management, Standing Committees, City Council and publication on the City of Toronto’s website.
- Liaises with Financial Reporting, Financial Accounting Systems and Policy (FASP) and Financial Planning in resolving accounting issues.
- Assists in the development of SAP reports in collaboration with FASP.
- Leads special projects and assignments, ranging from Financial Information System enhancements to meet users’ needs, process improvements, knowledge management, Financial Control By-Law, e-business initiatives, accrual accounting, etc.
- Assists in the development of the City’s Business Intelligence Framework for Financial Accounting.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Extensive accounting experience in a public or private sector accounting environment.
- Extensive experience in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Experience using computer based accounting systems, e.g. SAP.
- Experience supervising, leading, motivating and training staff.
- Advanced knowledge of municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards and requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of financial and internal controls.
- Superior analytical, interpersonal and problem solving skills with the ability to develop and recommend effective solutions.
- Ability to lead cross-Divisional teams, facilitate decision making and achieve excellence with the commitment to the highest standards of ethics and integrity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with various levels of staff within the City as well as external organizations.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision and to set priorities, plan and execute tasks.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking sills with the ability to meet tight deadlines under time constraints.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively as an effective team member.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Familiarity with Ontario Statues, including Occupational Health and Safety Act, employment standards, labour and human rights, and other applicable government legislation.
- Professional accounting designation (e.g. CA, CGA, CMA, CPA) would be an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.