As a member of the Pension, Payroll & Employee Benefits Section, reporting to the Manager, Payroll & Benefits, Systems & Reporting, this position manages project teams and provides senior level System Application Products (SAP) configuration and application support as it relates to the SAP HR/Payroll Module.
- Develops, manages, and implements detailed project documentation and plans, performs system analysis activities, participates in the research and testing, provides contingencies, allocates resources, and establishes priorities. Provides work direction to team members, assesses progress against the plan, and authorizes sign off at each stage of the project including the final production sign-off
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others
- Implements configuration, schema, rules, features\functions and programming changes in SAP (including portal) and Kronos resulting from policy/contract/legislation, system upgrades and enhancements. Determines requirements, reviews and identifies changes, analyzes the impact on operations. Determines the most efficient way to implement system changes, establishes and monitors timelines
- Prepares, organizes and presents project documentation to management and divisions (i.e. business cases, feasibility studies, project plans)
- Develops and maintains business specifications, configurations, and testing documents. Performs unit testing in development regions, and recommends test scenarios
- Maintains, supports and enhances various technical and functional aspects of the SAP system landscape including trouble shooting of technical and application problems, analysis of business requirements and their translations into SAP specific context, as it relates to HR/Payroll
- Manages daily issues and problem solving related to Payroll systems/subsystems
- Recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements, communicates change to related areas
- Chairs and participates in sub-committees charged with identifying the payroll applications support needs of the corporation. Represents division on cross divisional teams. Reviews, recommends and prioritizes change requests
- Provides reports and information to senior management and departmental staff related to division
- Liaises with Corporate I&T, external technical resources and software vendors regarding technical issues including hardware/network, file maintenance, client refresh, backup and restore procedures, and external interfaces with the payroll system
- Maintains business and technical knowledge of SAP, HCM (i.e. PA, time management, gross\net payroll, CATS, ESS, MSS) and Kronos for current and upcoming technological advancements
- Researches and recommends solutions to payroll application and systems architectures issues. Analyses and revises complex system logic. Develops new techniques and innovative approaches to enhance system functionality and automate business processes. Assists in the execution of system processes to support interfaces, payroll runs and year-end reporting
- Provides advice and guidance to the Division on the use of systems, troubleshoots issues, debugs programs, features and functions, user exits and object oriented language
- Responsible for quality assurance in accordance with Corporate Policy and SAP standards, ensures integrity of payroll data, records, reports and payroll production runs. Ensures internal controls and standards are maintained
- University degree in computer science or related discipline or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive SAP development (configuration\ABAP) and application support experience related to HR, Payroll and Time Management modules, examples include PA, Canadian Payroll , Benefits Administration, Time and Attendance Management, FICO payroll posting, reporting, payroll schema, time schema, user exits, features and functions, and rules.
- Extensive experience working on large and complex projects or teams (i.e. prepares and manages project plans)
- Extensive experience of the system landscape, including transport methodology, client configuration and change management, as it relates to Pension, Payroll and Employee Benefits Division.
- Considerable experience in SAP hands-on HR (PA), Canadian Payroll and Time Management Configuration.
- Experience conducting business requirement/blueprinting workshops.
- Experience preparing, organizing and presenting project documentation (e.g. business cases, feasibility studies, project plans).
- Knowledge of legislation, city policies, city collective agreements and accounting practices related to Pensions, Payroll and Employee Benefits.
- Extensive analytical conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to prepare and present detailed research proposals, methodologies, policies, standards project plans and reports.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and work collaboratively with others in a multidisciplinary team.
- Knowledge of SAP Portal/BW related to payroll and HR functionality would be an asset.
- SAP certification in the area of HR, Payroll, and Time Management would be an asset
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.