The City is moving forward with the long term rehabilitation of the F.G. Gardiner Expressway, a multi-year undertaking valued at almost $2.5 billion. To provide the technical, financial, legal, and administrative oversight needed to effectively and successfully implement the F.G. Gardiner Expressway Strategic Rehabilitation Plan, a new unit is being formed.
If you’re a highly motivated Professional Engineer with demonstrated project and people management experience, excellent communication skills, and looking for the opportunity to take a lead role in a high profile, complex and challenging project, please consider this opportunity to lead the new Gardiner Rehabilitation Project unit within the Transportation Infrastructure section of the City’s Engineering & Construction Services division.
Reporting to the Director, Design & Construction, Transportation Infrastructure, the Senior Manager will lead a team of high calibre staff responsible for overseeing all aspects of the planning, financial reporting, and delivery of the F.G. Gardiner Expressway Strategic Rehabilitation Plan using a combination of traditional and innovative approaches, including design-bid-build and public-private-partnerships as appropriate, and providing operational and technical support to the Director and the Executive Director of Engineering & Construction Services.
- Ensures the implementation of the F.G. Gardiner Strategic Rehabilitation project, including reporting, scheduling, risk management, quality assurance, business case analysis and development, and estimating.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies, engineering and procuring frameworks and provides strategic advice regarding program specific requirements.
- Provides direction and guidance to internal staff and external service providers, including processes and tools to increase efficiencies and improve effectiveness of the services provided by the unit.
- Leads, motivates and manages internal staff and external project teams, applying sound project management methodologies including full work plans with defined scope, schedule, timelines, requirements for projects undertaken by the unit, timelines and deliverables.
- Manages strategic and effective relations with other governments and government agencies and partners, as required.
- Facilitates effective teamwork, conducts performance reviews and ensures high standards of work.
- Ensures the implementation of individual projects, including reporting, scheduling, risk management, quality assurance, business case analysis and development, and estimating.
- Tracks decisions, related reports and activities which impact the project, and provides advice and analysis on their implications.
- Ensures project budgets and delivery timeframes are within approved financial and time commitments.
- Prepares comprehensive reports and presentations to Committees of Council, community and stakeholder groups.
- Prepares technical reports and staff reports to Standing Committees and/or Council, and material for public education/communication purposes, as may be required.
- Manages external service providers, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance.
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Manages, motivates and trains the unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work.
- Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests and monitors and evaluates staff performance, recommends salary increments and disciplinary action when necessary.
- Cultivates a culture of continuous improvement within the unit, evaluating program delivery on an ongoing basis in consultation with staff, senior management, service users and partners and implementing and managing change improving effectiveness and efficiency.
- Conducts comprehensive research and analysis to support engineering design, construction, and financing option development and implementation.
- For projects delivered via Alternative Financing and Procurement: participates in the identification and development of applications for funding from other governments and the private sector; participates in the negotiation and administration of contracts with external service providers such as private sector partners, and specialized engineering, financial, and professional services providers; supports the delivery of strategic municipal infrastructure projects by providing expertise related to project planning, procurement of engineering services, pre-design, public consultation, public and stakeholder notification, engineering survey, engineering design, project management, preparation of construction tenders, contract administration, obtaining regulatory approvals, securing property easements, construction inspection and quality assurance; oversees and directs financial, legal, traffic management, insurance, technical, scheduling, and quality assurance and quality control; ensures tenders, contract management contracts, consulting assignments and agreements with financial advisors conform with current City standards and procedures; ensures the procurement of the Owner’s Engineer; ensures the development of the Project‐Specific Output Specifications (PSOS); ensures the procurement of the private sector partner; identifies and participates in value engineering opportunities and contributes to the preparation of Value for Money and risk analyses; facilitates and contributes to all aspects of the procurement process, including the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP), to procure a private sector partner ; participates in the evaluation of RFQ and RFP submissions by providing subject matter expertise related to policy and planning, engineering, legal, financing, and / or operations; contributes to the commercial and financial negotiations with the preferred private sector partner.
- Maintains a continuous and thorough knowledge of current corporate and other divisions’ issues and initiatives.
- Participates on various committees, task forces, project teams, etc. as a divisional representative.
- Ensures excellent customer service is provided to both internal and external customers.
- Post-secondary education in engineering for the field pertinent to the job function.
- Holder of a Professional Engineering licence and member in good standing of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Extensive experience in project management of municipal infrastructure and capital works engineering design and construction, from inception to completion/closeout, including planning, design, resource allocation, budget preparation, scheduling and task management for multi-year, complex public and/or public/private partnership projects of roads, highways, and bridges.
- Extensive experience preparing contract documents, requests for proposal, tenders, and change management records for engineering and professional services assignments and agreements, and construction contracts.
- Considerable supervisor or management experience leading, recruiting, motivating and directing diverse teams in a fast-paced politically sensitive environment that focuses on customer service excellence.
- Considerable experience in the area of condition assessment, design, construction, maintenance and rehabilitation of bridges, structures and expressways.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles of civil and structural engineering and of materials and methods of construction, rehabilitation and upgrading, including accelerated bridge construction strategies.
- Knowledge of technological advances/approaches and regulatory requirements associated with the dismantling, rehabilitation and upgrading of bridges, roads, and utilities.
- Ability to successfully deliver Class Environmental Assessments for municipal infrastructure projects, and to secure regulatory approvals and permits.
- Knowledge of financial reporting processes including budget preparation and control, expenditure forecasting, preparation and interpretation of financial reports; and reporting on key performance indicators.
- Extensive knowledge of alternative financing and procurement approaches, including benefit and risk analysis.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles of civil engineering, structural engineering and of materials and methods of construction, rehabilitation and upgrading of roads, bridges and structures.
- Ability to operate as a fully accountable program leader, deliver complex projects, thrive in an environment with high expectations and frequent and competing deadlines.
- Highly developed interpersonal, public, labour and human relation skills to build and maintain effective relations and partnerships with all stakeholders, including the ability to foster teamwork, manage change and operate in an environment that promotes excellence.
- Excellent leadership, results management and change management skills, including the ability to listen, understand, respond, adapt, and think conceptually.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including report writing with the ability to interact and effectively communicate with all stakeholders including the public, internal and external agencies, government regulatory officials, Councillors and elected officials, and others to establish effective and mutually beneficial relationships, to support the successful implementation of the F.G. Gardiner Strategic Rehabilitation project.
- Exceptional negotiating, conflict resolution, strategic, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Highly skilled in managing competing priorities and demands in an environment with high expectations and frequent and competing deadlines.
- Familiarity with Federal and Provincial regulations and requirements, including but not limited to the Construction Lien Act, the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code, Ontario Traffic Manual-Book 7–Temporary Conditions, Ontario Structure Inspection Manual (OSIM) requirements, Ontario Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act, Environmental Assessment Act, and Federal Fisheries Act, and knowledge of relevant employment legislation including the Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Act, and the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Proficient in the use of various computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Possession of a valid Province of Ontario Driver’s License Class “G” and daily access to a reliable vehicle.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.