PLEASE NOTE: WAGE GRADE AND SALARY RANGE FOR THIS POSITION HAVE BEEN AMENDED
In the role of Senior Systems Administrator, the employee will be responsible for managing the technology infrastructure including networks, servers and end-user computing systems for Children’s Services Division. Reporting to the Senior Systems Integrator, Information Technology and Business Transformation, the Senior Systems Administrator works as a member of the Technology Infrastructure group. This group is responsible for all aspects of planning, implementing, maintaining and operating the Division’s technology infrastructure including networks, servers and end-user computing systems. The Senior Systems Administrator has particular responsibilities for administering and monitoring user access, system security and back-ups and configuration and testing of the overall computing environment.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limit. Assists on procurement processes of hardware and software licenses, and renewals of software licenses.
- Plans and implements the operations and maintenance of the Division’s technology infrastructure, including Division network/wireless network, database servers, file servers, storage systems and application servers, client workstations, software/hardware, backup/restore and recovery procedures.
- Provides infrastructure support to the application development team, including IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere, IBM WebSphere Application Servers, SVN and Jenkins, Oracle Designer, and Oracle Application Servers.
- Provides 2nd level systems support to the IT helpdesk team.
- Develops and maintains the Division’s technology infrastructure to ensure security integrity.
- Researches for the latest technology including server hardware, operating systems, applications and networking technology for Divisional technology infrastructure operations and expansion; resulting in purchasing decisions of new and/or upgrading of equipment/software.
- Develops backup and disaster recovery plans, tests and maintains the plans to enable the Division to deliver, technology dependant critical functions in the event of a business disruption.
- Provides technical expertise and consultative services on computer operations, including direction, guidance on capacity, feasibility and systems planning.
- Collaborates with Corporate IT and other Divisional IT to resolve Corporate/Division applications problems.
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, or related discipline or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable project management experience in a multi-project environment.
- Considerable experience in system administration, operations management, and architecture/design of a computing platform infrastructure which may include Solaris, Linux, and Windows servers, WebSphere server, Oracle database and Oracle application server, JIRA and Confluence, SAS, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Considerable experience in configuring of application development environment such as IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere, SVN, Jenkins and Oracle Designer.
- Considerable experience supervising technical staff including the ability to coach and lead team members in achieving team goals and objectives
- Ability to manage and build long term effective stakeholder relationships with clients, including senior management and external clients, through excellent interpersonal, communication, and negotiating skills.
- Knowledge of best practices for delivery of IT Technical Services utilizing service performance metrics, continuous improvement processes and methodologies such as ITIL, CAB & DevOps.
- Knowledge of municipal government, social/community services, or the child care and education fields would be an asset.
- Knowledge of IT systems and applications utilized in social services, human services, or children’s services (e.g. those used to manage the provision of services, subsidies, or financial assistance) would be an asset.
- Familiarity with applicable collective agreements and employment related legislation, including occupational health and safety.
- Excellent customer service along with a commitment to quality and continuous improvement.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.