Reporting to the Paramedic Services’ Commander, Materials & Equipment you will supervise the day-to-day operation of the Toronto Paramedic Services’ warehouse, procurement and logistics operation, as well as various unionized staff.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program- specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encouraging innovation in others.
- Supervises the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and takes disciplinary action when necessary.
- Supports assigned staff through workplace changes and fosters a safe and engaged working environment.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Maintains the Toronto Paramedic Services’ Master Inventory Management System ensuring the integrity and accuracy for all new and/or replacement assets and fixed assets are catalogued and recorded in the computerized database.
- Oversees the management of divisional inventory stocks ensuring compliance with established and approved corporate inventory management guidelines and audit controls and makes recommendations as appropriate based on historical knowledge and analysis of activity.
- Oversees the central receiving area for Toronto Paramedic Services, ensuring that all products and supplies received are documented and recorded on the inventory management system.
- Oversees the auto stores warehouse, ensuring that all products and supplies received and issued are documented and recorded on the inventory management system. Performs cycle counts on a regular basis.
- Conducts trend analysis on equipment and supply use, reporting as required to the Commander, Materials & Equipment on supply cost usage, shrinkage, loss and change in field demand requirements and makes recommendations.
- Coordinates the annual uniform ordering process for all uniformed staff, including all custom orders.
- Develops policies and procedures pertaining to materials, equipment and resources that will ensure all operations are maintained and supervised in the most efficient manner possible and according to federal and provincial legislation, municipal by-laws and corporate policies.
- Ensures that equipment, medical supplies and resources are available and delivered to the division’s services, satisfying the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC) certification through compliance with standards and reporting requirements.
- Ensures that all ambulance stations receive a continual supply of medical grade oxygen and that contingency plans are in place to minimize any interruptions in delivery.
- Coordinates movement of biohazardous waste from all ambulance stations and ensures that contingency plans are in place to minimize any interruptions in delivery.
- Develops delivery schedules to ensure that all field operations are fully equipped to meet daily service requirements.
- Ensures accuracy of monthly invoices itemizing the cost and number of stock item usage by the various program areas using the Inventory Management Program. Makes adjustments based on client input.
- Completes requisitions and detailed specifications to procure equipment and supplies required by the division.
- Coordinates product evaluations through meetings with the Standards and Specifications Section of the Purchasing and Materials Management Division, the Manager of Materials and Equipment and the Medical Advisor of Toronto Paramedic Services and provides written recommendations based on evaluation findings.
- Manages and continually reviews all equipment, supply and service related contracts, ensuring that vendors meet the established requirements of the division. Recommends improvements to achieve efficiency and best pricing arrangements.
- Monitors existing contracts relating to all equipment, supply and service related contracts to ensure they remain current and are within the specified estimated value, requests amendments, prepares briefing notes and assists in preparing Council reports as required.
- Meets with external vendors to examine new or improved products and supplies and makes presentations to the Equipment/Uniform Committee for consideration.
- Acts as management representative on the Equipment/Uniform committee and engages in discussions of all aspects of uniform issues.
- Prepares and reports on a monthly basis the annual program area budget identifying all expenditures and variances in accordance with established guidelines and expectations.
- Assists other Paramedic Services sections with acquiring goods by preparing requisitions, specifications for Requests for Quotations and evaluating products.
- Ensures the conformity of items received against contract specifications by ad hoc inspections of received goods.
- Manages the logistical coordination when changes in medical supplies and practices occur as they relate to ambulance stations, the main warehouse and district offices.
- Investigates any material failures by contacting the vendor/manufacturer to resolve issues including recall of products and/or coordinating the replacement of products in all ambulance stations.
- Identifies obsolete stock items and ensures they are properly written off and disposed of according to City of Toronto regulations.
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience and knowledge of the principles, techniques, and best practices in materials management, vendor management, contract management and inventory control practices and procedures, distribution and stores or related background within a large organization with a strong customer service orientation.
- Experience in the use of an automated inventory system, preferably SAP.
- Considerable experience and proficiency in computerized software packages such as MS Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, and Access) and Outlook including the ability to utilize other software packages relevant to supporting the division’s core requirement such as Adobe Acrobat, etc.
- Experience developing specifications, RFQs, RFPs, etc., for goods and services.
- Ability to operate as a fully accountable program leader and as a member of a management team and self-directed work team.
- Excellent organization skills, required to work with competing demands, priorities and the ability to meet frequent, strict deadlines.
- A team player with problem solving, analytical and multi-tasking skills, with attention to detail.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, client divisions, outside agencies, service providers, and suppliers.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, both orally and in writing and at all organizational levels, including the ability to prepare reports and /or correspondence.
- Sound judgement and the ability to handle matters involving public trust.
- Ability to lead, motivate and train staff in a unionized environment.
- Ability to map, evaluate and streamline workflow processes
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, Collective Agreements and related legislation applicable to this work (e.g., Ambulance Act).
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2262460 and the job classification title.