Please note the annual salary reflects 2016 rates.
To supervise the procurement and sale of materials, equipment and/or services for the City and designated Special Purpose Bodies.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Represents the manager and participates in various committees/meetings dealing with procurement matters.
- Supervises and instructs staff in his/her section for the purpose of assigned classes of material, supplies, equipment and Services and for the sale of surplus and obsolete material and equipment,
- Provide assistance to recruit, select, hires staff and provides training and development to ensure skilled and competent resources.
- Receives purchase requisitions from clients and assigns to buyers for processing.
- Supervises the procurement and sale of goods for client divisions and designated Special Purpose Bodies including local area municipalities and educational sector.
- Processes requisitions involving the invitation of written competitive tenders, quotations or proposals and/or telephone/e-mail/fax quotations. Prepares blanket contracts for term contracts.
- Ensures that clients comply with City, Provincial and Federal purchasing regulations and requirements, e.g. Health and Safety, Fair Wage, Municipal Code Chapters 195 and 71, Agreement on Internal Trade, etc. and implements/interprets same.
- Evaluates quotation/proposal submissions and reviews client recommendations regarding the selection of the supplier(s) for goods requested.
- Coordinates with suppliers the timely and complete delivery of goods.
- Investigates complaints from suppliers and mediates disputes or discrepancies regarding the delivery of goods/services ensuring adherence to contractual obligations throughout the purchasing process.
- Provides clients with the information to develop their purchasing plans and annual budgets and provides consultation and advice with respect to automated purchasing procedures and automated purchasing system.
- Identifies appropriate sources, interviews sales representatives and ensures that effective relationships with vendors are established and maintained.
- Conducts daily public meetings for the opening of quotations and proposals.
- Prepares detailed correspondence and reports relative to purchasing matters.
- Undertakes special projects and assignments.
- Provides direction and guidance to both divisions and purchasing staff on complex calls including the review of the evaluation process.
- Ensures purchasing procedures and procurement controls at the division level are consistent with corporate and divisional purchasing policies, procedures and guidelines (DPO, PCard, etc.).
- Co-chair co-op and joint venture purchasing committees e.g., TTC & TCHC with other municipalities, Public Sector and the ABCCs of the City.
- Conducts suppliers debriefing and dispute resolutions.
- Reviews quotations, proposals and bids for irregularities that could render them informal.
- Represent the Division at Bid Committee meetings regarding purchasing issues and various other committees and working groups.
- Monitors ongoing changes in client divisions to ensure a fast and accurate response to changing client contacts including changes to divisional requirements.
- Works to develop a positive working relationship and maintains a one-stop shopping approach providing direct contact with clients.
- Encourage, promote and provide guidance on corporate purchases to improve on product/service offering and pricing.
- Encourage and promote the inclusion of Volume Rebate option in calls to ensure prices offered are at minimal cost.
- Extensive experience in the purchasing operations of large public or private organizations, some of which must relate specifically to the actual duties of the position.
- Significant supervisory experience leading, motivating and training staff in a unionized environment.
- Experience with automated purchasing processes using financial information systems, i.e. SAP, etc.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline, e.g. CPPO (National Institute of Government Purchasing) or CPP (Purchasing Management Association of Canada) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods used in public purchasing.
- Knowledge of the City Purchasing by-law and Financial Control by-law and related purchasing policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, client divisions, outside agencies, service providers, suppliers and representatives from various levels of government.
- Highly developed communication skills, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels and ability to prepare reports, correspondence, presentation material and Council reports.
- Superior analytical, interpersonal, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Familiarity with computerized work management systems and the ability to become proficient in their applications.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of products and services purchased.
- Familiarity with Ontario Statues, including Occupational Health and Safety Act, employment standards, labour and human rights, and other applicable government legislation.
- Experience in the Information & Technology field, an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2260271 and the job classification title.