The Supervisor, Custodial Services reports to the Manager, Operations/Custodial ensuring that a high standard of cleanliness and custodial maintenance is maintained at all designated City owned and leased properties. The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and co-ordinates vacation and overtime requests.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Recruits, selects, manages performance, disciplines, redeploys, trains, and mentors staff.
- Supervises, schedules and directs the activities of staff in all aspects of cleaning and custodial maintenance of city owned and leased properties. Develops service specifications providing Custodial Services to ensure optimal cleaning standards.
- Develops specifications for tender and contract administration for various custodial services including authorising invoices and inspecting work.
- Ensure all notifications and custodial work orders are resolved and closed timely.
- Develops specifications and participates in the negotiation of Service Level Agreements for various clients to ensure that cost effective resources are available as required. Develops work plans and inspects quality of work.
- Ensures that quality of work and service meets departmental standards and that all work performed are in compliance with all legislative regulations, including Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and the Occupational Health & Safety Act and all applicable building codes.
- Plans, coordinates and issues instructions for contracted services for various custodial contracts. Monitors contractors for compliance with specifications.
- Maintains inventory control program to ensure adequate resources are in place and prevent theft.
- Participates in regular community, society and group meetings to provide input for Custodial/Operations role on major events.
- Ensures client satisfaction is met by providing timely, cost effective and optimum delivery of services.
- Provides 24/7 coverage/response for designated City owned and leased properties.
- Other duties as assigned based on operational needs.
- Considerable experience in supervising a large unionized custodial/janitorial/operations staff both in-house and contracts.
- Experience and working knowledge of common building operational policies and various related acts/codes/standards including Fire code, OHSA and WHMIS.
- Experience developing, implementing and monitoring daily/weekly project cleaning schedules.
- Community college diploma pertinent to the job function combined with relevant supervisory experience and or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in applying all safety and health procedures with particular emphasis on public safety.
- Able to plan and organize work with minimum direction. Ability to multi-task during high volume periods.
- Highly developed interpersonal, conflict resolution, problem solving and communication skills.
- Must possess expertise as well as a range of core strengths in communication, leadership, labour relations, teamwork, JOHSC and customer service.
- Ability to work in a team based environment.
- Demonstrated competency in a variety of software packages (i.e., MS Word, MS Excel etc.).
- Demonstrated experience as a mentor/facilitator/teacher/coach.
- Ability to do shift work i.e. afternoons, nights, weekends as required.
- Must possess a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and daily access to a vehicle and the ability to obtain the City of Toronto’s Equipment Operators Permit.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2266210 and the job classification title.