Position: Teacher – Matawa Learning Centre
Formed in 1988, Matawa First Nations Management (Matawa) is a Tribal Council providing services to nine member communities in Northern Ontario. The organization is dedicated to providing its members with advisory and support services in the areas of communications, economic development, education, finance and business, health, membership and technical services.
At this time, Matawa invites applications from qualified applicants for the position of Teacher in the Matawa Learning Centre (MLC). The MLC located in Thunder Bay, Ontario, provides a unique learning environment to support students as they move toward the successful completion of their secondary education and continue on their pathways to work, training or post-secondary education programs.
The MLC Teacher will provide instruction and student support in a variety of subject areas, and assist with the on-going development of courses and enrichment of curriculum to meet the needs of the MLC’s students. The successful candidate will hold, or be eligible to hold, an Ontario Certificate of Qualification and Registration and be a member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers. Expertise or experience in alternative education, Aboriginal education and/or cooperative education would be beneficial. The successful candidate should be available for August 28, 2017.
This position is based in Thunder Bay, with some travel required to Matawa First Nation communities. The successful applicant will be required to submit a current Criminal Record Check, including vulnerable sector, and current “negative” result TB skin test. This is a contract position to June 29, 2017, with possibility of extension, pending funding and a successful performance review.
- A degree in Education, and 3 years secondary teaching experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Intermediate-Senior Qualifications in Science and/or Mathematics preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of First Nation education
- Knowledge of and experience teaching in a private secondary school, including course preparation and record keeping, and in the administration of the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) and Ontario Secondary School Literacy Course (OSSLC)
- Experience teaching in multi-grade classrooms
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, parents, administration, government and First Nation organizations
- Knowledge of Ojibway will be considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teaching skills
- Valid Ontario driver’s license
For additional information, including specific qualifications for the position, please view the Job Description at the Matawa website: www.matawa.on.ca.
Salary: We offer competitive salary commensurate with education and work experience.
Duration: Full-time contract
Please submit cover letter with resume and three employment references to:
Matawa First Nations Management
RE: MATAWA LEARNING CENTRE TEACHER COMPETITION
Suite 500, 28 Cumberland Street N.
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7A 4K9
Fax: (807) 768-3301
Closing Date: July 20, 2017 @ 4:30 p.m. ET
Thank you for your interest in working with the Matawa Learning Centre, however only successful applicants will be contacted.