Please note: The salary/rate reflects 2016 rates.
Reporting to the Manager Information & Business Development, the Web Communications Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the ongoing development and maintenance of 311 Toronto websites and providing guidance on effective web design support, corporate and communication strategies and objectives, content standards and the appropriate use of digital media tools, ensuring the delivery of effective customer service to the public and other City counterparts. This position will work closely with the Web Revitalization Project team and staff across the organization, including divisional staff from 311 Toronto, Strategic Communications, the Web Centre, and Information Technology.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program-specific requirements
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government
- Manages assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning
- Assigns and coordinates projects and monitors workflow to ensure established time lines are met
- Ensures that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Ensures information on the 311 website is up to date through ongoing consultation with corporate clients
- Provides critical analysis of the City’s website content through ongoing reviews and design audits to ensure adherence to existing standards and accuracy and regularly uses web analytics to evaluate usage and effectiveness
- Contributes to future protocols, strategies, and guidelines by setting standards, evaluating training needs, and developing training programs and materials to support the effective, consistent and appropriate use of all digital tools
- Updates, applies and implements the current Web Content Standards and Design Guide and Web Application User Interface Standards, and contributes to the development of new web content and design standards and guidelines
- Develops, documents and presents usability design strategies and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements such as the 311 self-service strategy
- Ensures compliance with the Corporate Identity Program and the Corporate Style Guide through the review of existing and proposed content, and provides advice on the City’s web and digital content to ensure strategic messages are enforced, visual identity standards are met and that information reflects corporate priorities
- Responds to inquiries and provides guidance to City staff and elected officials on the consistent design, look, feel, style, voice and navigation of the City’s website, ensuring content is accessible to a broad audience
- Ensures that content is navigable and found by internal and external search engines through the setting of standards for and the effective creation of metadata
- Provides professional design skills, content-related advice, and user experience and navigation expertise to content creators and web editors across the organization
- Ensures that legal and legislated standards are upheld (e.g., AODA, MFIPPA, the Trademark Act and the Copyright Act) and implements existing guidelines and standards to ensure web content meets legislated requirements, maximizes usability and reflects the City’s brand and corporate voice
- Establishes collaborative and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including division heads, communications staff, I&T staff, Mayor’s office and elected officials
- Maintains a high level of knowledge of a broad spectrum of mobile and web technologies, tools and best practices related to digital communications
- Considerable experience working on enterprise-wide or large scale, complex web and digital initiatives involving multiple stakeholders and operating areas.
- Considerable experience in content development for the Web, site design, website construction, navigation and management.
- Graphic design experience working with the Adobe Suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat.
- Experience collecting web requirement specifications and using standard wire-framing, prototyping tools and processes.
- Experience using web content and analytics reporting tools to analyze and apply data to improve web use and user experience.
- Experience performing documentation, test design and quality assurance scripting and user scenario writing.
- Experience leading, coaching and motivating teams.
- Post-secondary education a related discipline such as digital communications, web design/development, etc. or an approved combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of traditional and modern media technologies; comprehensive grasp of online media issues.
- Strong understanding of web browser capability across multiple platforms, navigational issues and the constraints involved in designing for online media.
- Ability to apply, implement and contribute to web design standards policies, protocols, processes and guidelines.
- Strong research, analytical, problem solving, time management and conflict resolution skills.
- Skilled in information architecture, user interface and visual design.
- Highly developed communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish effective working relationships with divisional and corporate staff, outside agencies, politicians, other levels of government and members of the public.
- Ability to participate in and coordinate the work of cross functional, multidisciplinary teams producing innovative designs and strategies.
- Ability to coordinate multiple assigned projects and monitor workflow ensuring a high standard of work quality and organizational performance in a fast paced, politically sensitive team environment.
- Ability to uphold and apply legal and legislated standards, as well as City standards, processes and policies (e.g., Municipal Freedom of Information Act, the Trademark Act, Copyright Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Corporate Identity Program, and Web Design and Content Standards).
- Knowledge of governmental legislation in the areas of health and safety and related corporate policies.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2266998 and the job classification title.