After acquittal, family of dead Indigenous man calls for appeal, reforms in Ontario – Globe and Mail

by ahnationtalk on July 11, 201833 Views

July 10, 2018

As the Ontario Crown’s office decides whether to appeal the acquittal of a former military reservist who was found not guilty last month in the shooting death of Jonathan Styres, the Six Nations man’s family is calling for reforms to the “discriminatory” justice system.

Six Nations Elected Chief Ava Hill said she sat down with the Hamilton prosecutors on Tuesday to discuss the appeal process, and was told the decision is now in the province’s hands.

The chief also spoke with Caroline Mulroney, the province’s newly appointed Attorney-General, over the phone on Monday to discuss the community’s concerns about the case.

“She was telling me that it’s not appropriate for her to comment on it because it is under the review period. But she did indicate that she’s committed to improving the relations between Indigenous people and the criminal-justice system,” Ms. Hill said.

Read More: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-after-acquittal-family-of-dead-indigenous-man-calls-for-appeal/

Send To Friend Email Print Story

Comments are closed.

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More