Minister Rickford Announces Support for Forest Sector Growth in the Kenora Region
July 8 2015 – Kenora, Ontario – Industry Canada/FedNor
The Honourable Greg Rickford, Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario (FedNor), announced today an investment to help Kenora Forest Products innovate, become more competitive and expand into new markets in the Kenora region.
Thanks to a repayable contribution of $3,000,000, provided through FedNor’s Targeted Manufacturing Initiative for Northern Ontario, Prendiville Industries Ltd. will expand its facilities and upgrade its equipment at Kenora Forest Products. The investment will enable the company to increase its manufacturing capacity and production, improve efficiencies, lower operating costs and reduce waste product. As a result of the improvements, the company expects to boost its sales and exports to national and international markets, and create more than 22 full-time construction jobs during the expansion phase, 110 full-time jobs at Kenora Forest Products and 136 indirect jobs in the woodlands and transportation sector.
- Kenora Forest Products, acquired by Prendiville Industries Ltd. in 1994, is positioning itself for long-term sustainability through significant capital improvements such as the expansion of automated grading processes, the introduction of additional grades of lumber such as Machine Stress Rating (MSR) and an overall expansion of product offerings.
- As part of its Northern Ontario Development Program, FedNor’s Targeted Manufacturing Initiative for Northern Ontario supports the development and growth of the region’s manufacturing sector by helping companies to assess the need for productivity improvements and modernize their operations.
- Since 2006, through FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program, the Government of Canada has invested $351 million in support of more than 1,675 projects. These investments have supported more than 22,700 jobs throughout Northern Ontario.
“Our Government is proud to invest in strategic initiatives that support the long-term competitiveness of forestry and manufacturing in Northern Ontario. By helping Kenora Forest Products modernize their facilities and grow their operations, we are supporting jobs and economic growth throughout the Kenora region.”
– The Honourable Greg Rickford
Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario
“I would like to thank the Government of Canada for this repayable contribution, which is enabling Kenora Forest Products to expand its operations, increase production and efficiencies while creating long-term opportunities for the region. The funding announced today clearly demonstrates that the federal government is committed to Northern Ontario manufacturers and recognizes the unique needs of this important sector of the economy.”
– Maureen Prendiville
President, Prendiville Industries Ltd.
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: fednor.gc.ca and follow us on Twitter @FedNor.
Office of the Honourable Greg Rickford
705-626-6119 or 1-877-333-6673 Ext 304