To perform accounting duties pertaining to internal control and researching, analyzing and reconciling to general ledger and ensures compliance with established corporate policies, procedures and practices.
- Performs accounting duties such as reviewing, researching, analyzing and reconciling ledger accounts, setting up and maintaining expenditures and revenue working papers, spreadsheets and reconciliation to general ledger.
- Prepares financial statements and statistical data reports i.e. departmental capital and current projects
- Maintains, and reconciles monthly budget variance reports and cost detail records related to departmental operating budget.
- Reconciles and monitors capital/current projects and recoveries.
- Maintains a Cost Control System including subsidiary records relating to departmental capital and current projects.
- Prepares monthly departmental financial statements and other financial information for Divisions,
- Coordinates activities related to divisional complement reconciliation & reporting
- Extracts reports from the SAP Complement Management and updates information in SAP Complement Management through partnership with Corporate counterparts, i.e. HR Organization Management (HROM) staff
- Provides information and maintains a monitoring system for tracking such as staff requisitions, in year and routine complement changes
- Develops detailed organizational charts and vacancy reports based on SAP Complement Management reports
- Responds to inquiries from management and employees regarding policies and procedures in the areas of complement management & reporting
- Prepares, coordinates and maintains information related to budget administration, salaries and benefits budget and provides related support
- Analyzes actual vs budgeted capital project spending and calculates monthly project management fees
- Performs calculations in order to process period end accruals for expenditures.
- Prepares working papers and processes period end and year-end closing entries.
- Reviews financial system reports and takes action as required.
- Analyzes and reconciles account balances. Prepares, reviews, and posts journal entries.
- Reviews General Ledger expenditure and revenue accounts, processes reclassification and reallocation adjustments, and reconciles expenditures.
- Prepares statements for reporting to management and divisions.
- Provides assistance on accounting and financial related matters to the divisions as requested.
- Provides financial analysis, and other information to the divisions. Creates/executes ad hoc financial system reports for analysis purposes.
- Liaises with Finance Department for, retrieving documents and dealing with other accounting related issues.
- Assists on projects and assignments.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Present enrolment toward the completion of a professional accounting designation (i.e. CGA/CMA/CA course requirements) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable experience in municipal accounting or relevant private sector experience in financial accounting and financial reporting.
- Considerable experience in the analysis and reconciliation of ledger accounts and financial statement preparation.
- Experience utilizing a variety of software packages including word processing and spreadsheet applications (i.e. MS Word and Excel) and computer based accounting and payroll applications/systems (i.e. SAP).
You must also have:
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) and ability to communicate effectively and deal professionally and tactfully with all levels of staff.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion.
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to meet tight time lines, identify priorities, and deal with conflicting work demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member and share workload.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected].
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: