Job Title: ADULT COMMUNITY COUNCIL CASEWORKER
Travel Required: Yes
Position Type: Full Time Permanent
Reports to: Adult CPP Caseworker & Manager
Posting Expires: 10 December 2020
Aboriginal Legal Services (ALS) strengthens the capacity of the Aboriginal community and its citizens to deal with justice issues and provide Aboriginal controlled and culturally based justice alternatives. Our dedicated staff is our most valued resource. Compassionate care, teamwork, professionalism, communication, and respect are the values that set ALS apart.
Duties and responsibilities
- Planning and delivering of Indigenous justice circles,
- Planning, delivering and evaluating of circles/ groups (anger management, harm, reduction etc),
- Assist the clients with general counseling while assessing the client’s possible needs and issues.
- Uniquely approaches the objective of meeting Indigenous client’s needs through knowledge-based interdisciplinary work, focused on prevention as well as remediation of problems and maintaining a commitment to improving the overall quality of life.
- Makes appropriate referrals to relevant programs and services when necessary,
- Case management,
- Reporting stats,
- Planning and designing of workshops,
- Participate in training, conferences, and relevant meetings,
- Participate in file reviews with Manager,
- Planning of ceremonies and cultural activities,
- Work with the Community Council Team to improve services and develop new programs and services to better serve our clients,
- Other duties assigned,
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in social services or community work.
- Experience working with Indigenous communities and knowledge of culture and ceremony is preferred
- Excellent interviewing and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently and to manage a regular caseload of clients.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system and programs and services available to Indigenous people in Toronto and surrounding area would be a great asset.
- Valid driving license is required.
To apply to this job posting please submit your cover letter and resume with “ADULT COMMUNITY COUNCIL CASEWORKER” in the subject line to [email protected] or fax it to (416)408-1568 by no later than 5 pm on 10th December 2020
Aboriginal Legal Services
211 Yonge Street, Suite 500
Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1M4