Application & Technical Support Specialist 1 – Oracle APEX and Database
Provide expertise and advice in the end to end delivery and support of Water Meter Program application systems and related infrastructure;
Under the direction of the Senior System Integrator Toronto Water, provide expertise of a technical and business nature related to Application Support in addressing opportunities/challenges
- Schedules work load and set priorities.
- Leads team in identification and resolution of issues and problems.
- Provides expertise in assessment, analysis, evaluation of alternatives and resolution of issues & problems.
- Liaises and coordinates with internal & external groups on the resolution of problems.
- Recommends preventative solutions to mitigate the recurrence of similar problems.
- Develops and recommends improvements to current environment, policies & processes.
- Acquires configures and disposes of hardware and software.
- Configures network and server-related hardware and software.
- Monitors and maintains access and security of data and infrastructure.
- Advises teams on hardware & software technologies and deployment alternatives and connectivity and backup/recovery alternatives.
- Advises security management & control teams on security-related technologies and access control alternatives.
- Performs capacity planning.
- Prepares statistics and drafts summary reports.
- Prepares, directs, and recommends for approval training material and documentation Reviews work of staff and provides training
- Provides training to clients in use of technology.
- Supports the centralized management of access control.
- Installs /rolls out application, hardware and/or software and takes inventory of such assets.
- Designs and creates databases.
- Attends committee meetings.
- Travels to off-site locations.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in Computer Sciences, Information Technology or related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education.
- Considerable job-specific professional experience.
- Considerable experience in planning, designing, developing, implementing, supporting and maintaining information and/or industrial technology systems in a highly complex enterprise environment.
- Progressive experience in providing back-end systems, infrastructure and/or client-side support; and demonstrated active participation in multiple and complex technology-related projects and in system administration activities.
- Significant experience in the following:
- APEX and Database: Able to support and maintain APEX and database development and infrastructure.
- Developing, configuring and maintaining applications using Oracle APEX version 4 or higher, and SQL languages including but not limited to the development and maintenance of tables, views, stored procedures, triggers, and functions.
- Configuring and maintaining Oracle REST Data Services.
- Configuring and maintaining Oracle 10 or higher infrastructure in a highly complex enterprise environment.
- Configuring and maintaining SQL Server 2008 or higher infrastructure in a highly complex enterprise environment.
- Experience using PL/SQL.
- Experience with XS FO editor for use with Oracle APEX. Preference is given to Altova Stylevision.
- Data modeling (LDM, PDM). Preference is given to modeling experience with ERWIN.
- Gathering and documenting business, technical and report requirements, technical specifications, Statement of Work, system analysis, and design.
- Progressive experience with information technology systems related to business intelligence, operational intelligence, and performance management.
- Performing detailed analysis of business processes and data to identify problems and potential solutions. Able to perform business systems analysis; understand and articulate the relationship between the technical components of the solutions and the business processes and stakeholders the system provides support for.
- Providing dependable estimates for work effort.
- Design and implement system test strategies and cases. Support the User Acceptance Testing process.
- Project coordination for IT projects.
- Experience with version control, ticketing, and QA systems. Preference is given to experience with tools such as HP ALM, CVS, SVN.
You must also have:
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, presentation, oral and written communication; and ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language. Ability to prepare and deliver technical documentation and reports; and to deal effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills (prioritize and execute tasks).
- Proven systems management skills. Technical skills to configure and troubleshoot servers; install software and provide troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Willingness and ability to acquire or update knowledge of business applications, control systems and communication network technologies.
- Proven commitment to delivering superior customer service, performance quality and continuous improvement.
- Ability to work effectively within a dynamic team and collaborative environment.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks.
- Certification in ITILv3 and demonstrate good overall understanding ITIL framework, concepts, and practices.
- Ability to learn and support a variety of different technologies.
- Knowledge of document management systems. Preference is given to OpenText Content Suite.
- Demonstrated a fundamental knowledge of industry standards, protocols, system architectures and operating systems as related to the position.
- Knowledge and application of IT and software best practices.
- Ability to contribute to the development and refinement of information technology and software standards.
- Must be available for occasional after-hour (evening, weekend or overnight) work.
- Must be physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
- Possession of valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and access to a motor vehicle to travel within the GTA for business purposes.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2267405 and the job classification title.