Rockcliffe Yard(1 positions)
Booth Yard (2 position)
Emery Yard (2 position)
Nashdene (1 position)
- Performs work involved in the care and culture of trees
- Plants/transplants trees by both mechanical and hand methods
- Works at various heights, including work in proximity to energized conductors, performing tree maintenance and tree removal, using aerial device and manual climbing using approved climbing and safety equipment and techniques
- Assists those working at heights in the handling of ropes or acting as a spotter
- Drives/operates/inspects and ensures proper maintenance of various equipment, including but not limited to: dump truck, aerial tower, crane truck (under 7200 kg), chipper, sprayer, stump cutter, tractor/loader, backhoe, chain saw, motorized pole saw and other associated equipment and hand tools
- Handles/loads/chips brush and wood
- Performs tree pit/container maintenance
- Liaises with the public to address work site issues
- May be required to complete general tree maintenance inspections
- May be required to provide work direction and training to other staff and carries out duties that meet Health & Safety standards in a safe and responsible manner
- Directs traffic in association with a worksite
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience in all types of arboricultural work including pruning, removal, bracing, stumping, planting and fertilizing.
- Experience in the care and safe operation of chain saws, motorized pole saws, brush chippers, truck mounted cranes (under 7200 kg), stump cutters, aerial towers and associated equipment and hand tools.
- Experience climbing trees and operating aerial towers, using approved equipment and safety procedures when working at various heights, including work in the vicinity of energized conductors.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “D” Driver’s License with “Z” endorsement, and qualify for the City’s equipment operating permit requirements.
- Must be familiar with all applicable legislation and industry standards, including but not limited to the Occupational Health and Safety Act (and associated regulations), the Highway Traffic Act, and Arborist Safe Work Practices Guide as they apply to this work.
- Possess an Infrastructure Health and Safety Association, formerly known as E.U.S.A, certificate for Safety in Line Clearing operations or equivalent.
You must also have:
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform aerial rescue.
- Must have a good working understanding of tree morphology, physiology and dendrology of those tree species common to the Toronto area.
- May be required to work shifts and weekends.
- Must update skills as required from time to time to meet trade standards and operational requirements.
- Ability to maintain simple records of work.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please call us at 416-338-7133 or email us at [email protected].