As a member of the Claims Legal team, you will be providing coverage support to Zurich Canada on complex coverage matters in order to ensure that Zurich’s interests are protected. You will be responsible for managing coverage litigation, provide coverage support to the Claims team, partner with Corporate Law and underwriting to provide support and recommendations on policy language and new product launches, and provide general educational support on new developments in coverage law.
• Juris Doctor / LL.B., and / or LL.C. and 5 or more years of experience in insurance coverage and / or defence;
• Member in good standing of a Canadian provincial Bar Association;
• Experience in insurance industry claims or underwriting
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Negotiation skills
• Advanced knowledge of the insurance industry, claims and the insurance legal and regulatory environment
• Analytical skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to a changing environment
• Experience in a work environment that required collaboration across work groups
• Ability to effectively present information to LOB manager, claimants and customers
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
• Work towards timely resolution of unique coverage issues and potential litigation by developing, preparing and implementing coverage and/or extra-contractual litigation strategies for medium to high complexity assignments requiring specialized expertise.
• Manage and oversee all aspects of litigation matters by assigning cases to outside counsel, partnering to establish litigation strategies and budget; coordinating activities; overseeing progress; reviewing litigation expenses, authorizing payments and evaluating outside counsel performance with a high level of discretion.
• Resolves technical coverage issues within claims or underwriting units by providing legal advice and counsel.
• Resolves technical coverage issues and provides legal counsel and training to claims professionals and underwriters on coverage issues, product development, product refresh, policy language and specials endorsements to address coverage matters.
• Ensure legal compliance by following regional, country and/or local laws and regulations and internal control requirements.
• Provide proactive insights and legal guidance by identifying opportunities for technical excellence, developing and delivering targeted training to the organization.
• May serve as a technical resource by mentoring others and sharing technical knowledge related to specific Line of business expertise.
• Protect Zurich’s reputation by keeping claims information confidential.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, staying current with industry trends, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies and maintaining all necessary licenses.
• Contribute to the team effort by accomplishing related results and participating on projects as needed.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.