Director, Environmental H&S Audit
Date: Oct 12, 2020
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
39307 – Toronto – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
The Director, Environment, Health and Safety Audit is accountable to the Chief Safety Officer for the following:
- The planning and delivery of the environment, health and safety audit programs for Hydro One Inc. that assist the Chief Safety Officer fulfill their due diligence responsibilities;
- The development of environment, health and safety audit methodologies and practices;
- The staffing and development of the environment, health and safety audit function
- Provide advice to the Chief Safety Officer to ensure the audit strategy is consistent with corporate direction;
- Maintain ongoing contact with the Business Partners to ensure their needs are fully considered and to the extent possible met
- Recommend to the Chief Safety Officer functional audit programs which are consistent with corporate risks and Internal Audits’ mandate and meet the requirements of the Environment, Health and Safety Committee of the Board, the CEO and the senior executives.
- Developing the environment, health and safety audit program for Hydro One Inc. and its subsidiaries to meet the needs of the CEO considering corporate business objectives and the environment, health and safety business areas.
- Support the Chief Safety Officer in presenting the Audit Program to the Line of Business leaders;
- Plan, scope and resource individual audits according to the terms of reference;
- Execute individual audits according to general audit standards including risk and root cause analysis;
- Inform the Chief Safety Officer and Line of Business leader of any significant issues during the execution of the audits;
- Prepare individual audit reports according to Internal Audits Reporting Standard;
- Present audit reports to individual Line of Business leaders;
- Support the Chief Safety Officer in presenting summary reports of overall audit findings to the Executive, and the appropriate committees of the Board of Directors;
- Track and monitor managers implementation of corrective actions resulting from audit findings;
- Perform follow up work on individual audit findings and assess effectiveness of corrective actions;
- Develop for review by the Line of Business leader the Audit Program and the terms of reference for individual audits;
- Working with the Chief Safety Officer to ensure the Line of Business leaders are informed on a timely basis about audit findings in the areas;
- Ensure that effective management responses and corrective action plans are developed on a timely basis;
- Keep staff abreast of internal audit strategies and policies, their accountabilities and tasks, compliance requirements and performance targets, and an expectation of continuous improvement;
- Develop a framework and set audit standards for the unit to ensure the audits performed are effective in all aspects;
- Conduct review of audit files as soon as audits are completed;
- Monitor compliance by staff with all corporate policies and procedures, Internal Audit standards and generally accepted audit
- Maintain two way working relationship with staff, who are both MCP and Society;
- Ensure collective agreement with the Society of Energy Professionals followed;
- Ensure staff are motivated, willing and properly trained/able to perform the individual audits;
- Assess staff capabilities/competencies;
- Conduct staff reviews;
- Mentor staff;
- Communicate direction set by the Chief Safety Officer to staff;
- Define specific tasks for staff, which are required to achieve the desired results and/or accommodate changes required within the business operations;
- Communicate expectations regarding the collaborative relationship among staff;
- Develop for approval, by the Chief Safety Officer, the Health, Safety & Environment Management System; and
- Ensure Internal Audit management and staff comply with the Health, Safety & Environment Management System.
Essential Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications
- Solid understanding of Environment, Health and Safety management practices, systems and approaches; knowledge of process assessment methodologies;
- Health safety and environmental compliance and management audit experience and qualifications including associated audit standards, practices and methodologies;
- Knowledge of Financial, Environment, Health and Safety risks and control techniques;
- Sound understanding of corporate Environment, Health and Safety protection policies, strategies, rules, regulations, legislative requirements, and respective accountabilities; and
- Relevant managerial experience in building and sustaining an effective team of subordinates capable of producing the desired outputs.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.