Location: Vacancies available in Bracebridge and Barrie ONLY at this time
Type of contract: Casual
Salary Band: $15.00 – $20.10/hour
An iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet – The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), is seeking multiple Drivers to join our team in the North Simcoe and Muskoka Region.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Within the Community Health & Wellness-Transportation department, under the direction of the Program Coordinator and Senior Manager, a Driver is responsible for providing transportation to eligible clients to medical appointments, social outings, compassionate visits, shopping and day programs.
In this role, you will:
- Operates the vehicle safely and reports any vehicle and /or radio maintenance concerns/problems/needs to the Program Coordinator.
- Drivers must ensure client satisfaction by diligently abiding to the policy and procedures as reviewed in the on-boarding process.
- Conducts daily safety checks on vehicle(s) in accordance with Pre-Trip Inspection guidelines and requirements and ensures the exterior and interior of vehicles are clean and presentable to clients and the public (Clear vehicle of ice and snow as required).
- Monitors and reports any vehicle inventory supplies that should be replenished, such as First Aid kit, gloves etc., as outlined in the Pre-Trip Inspection requirements.
- Reports any maintenance /repairs that may occur during the workday and may be required to take vehicle to scheduled repairs and maintenance appointments.
- Observes routine practices when working with clients and others. Follows all procedures in reporting and documenting any incidents, accidents and/or injuries.
- Reports any observed or potential occupational health and safety hazards for workers or clients to Program Coordinator or designate. Adheres to implemented strategies to support social justice and diversity in accordance with Society policies and procedures.
- Provide assistant to clients to onboard/de-board the vehicle including those clients with mobility devices (example: pushing/maneuvering wheelchairs, folding walkers and safely stowing during trip as needed and ay be required to lift heavy equipment or supplies (up to 50lbs).
- Perform other duties as required.
What we are looking for:
- The minimum requirements for this position include
- High school diploma is the minimum education requirement.
- Must posses and maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class ‘G” Driver’s License with no more than three demerit points
- Minimum of two years’ driving experience
- Previous experience with driving commercial vehicles, cube/cargo vans and working with seniors/elderly population are considered as assets.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and able to work in adverse weather and road conditions (outlined in working conditions below).
- Ability to deal courteously with clients, public and staff.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good reading and writing comprehension.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check, reference checks, satisfactory three-year Driver’s Abstract, Vulnerable Sector Check, and First Aid certification (training required).
- The nature of this job is such that the incumbent faces daily pressures and stresses of driving in rural and urban areas of the North Simcoe and Muskoka region in a variety of weather and road conditions (e.g. traffic congestion).
- Changes related to assigned client rides, working hours and work location are frequently made on short notice. The incumbent is required to be flexible in working non-traditional hours and in accepting changes to their work schedule and location.
- Incumbents are required to work with individuals of differing cognitive and physical abilities.
- Physical demands required:
- Ability to lift equipment weighing up to 50lbs (e.g. wheelchairs) is required on a regular basis.
- Movement requiring frequent bending and strength.
- Ability to clear snow off top and around extended size van requiring reaching overhead.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.