Reporting to the Senior Energy Consultant, the Energy Consultant will provide technical expertise, consultation, policy advice and program support regarding the development and implementation of energy conservation and demand management programs and initiatives across the City, including agencies, corporations, Divisions, and public/private sector entities.
- Develops strategies for energy conservation and demand management and reducing greenhouse gas emissions in City buildings and infrastructure
- Conducts analysis of energy conservation and demand management policies, strategies and programs including emissions and environmental impact assessment. Compiles data, interprets research and statistical information and conducts numerical analysis in order to prepare reports and make recommendations
- Reviews and evaluates data on existing and past conservation and demand management programs and technologies. Makes recommendations on new standards and practices
- Conducts environmental impact analysis of recommended standards and programs. Analyzes environmental impacts of energy consumption
- Drafts terms of reference and acts as project leader for technical studies. Analyzes results and prepares reports recommending appropriate action and alternatives
- Drafts requests for proposals from consultants for technical studies and projects
- Drafts pre-qualification terms of external consultants. Drafts requests for proposals for technical assistance, evaluates proposals and makes recommendations in their selection. Liaises with various Divisions in drafting and developing the terms of contract agreements
- Liaises with other Divisions, agencies, corporations and public/private sector organizations to provide advice on technical, program development and implementation issues and provides advice to other stakeholders on energy matters and updates on technical developments and current energy trends
- Conducts surveys of energy agencies by sectional areas on energy conservation and generation and contributes to the development of the data and information management system for the section
- Develops materials for energy efficiency promotional events
- Replies to public inquiries on energy conservation and demand management
- Participates in seminars and public presentations to assist in promotion activities. Conducts field visits to carry out program activities
- Reviews energy codes and standards and maintains section’s reference documents on legislative requirements, energy related technologies and energy conservation and demand management programs
- Reviews and provides analysis of reports and submissions to the City by various utilities
- Participates in inter-agency and multi-disciplinary technical committees
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in Environmental Studies, Applied Sciences, Engineering Technology, or a related discipline or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable experience in an energy conservation and demand management environment.
- Experience drafting and coordinating requests for proposals (RFPs) and request for quotations (RFQs).
- Experience in preparing comprehensive business reports and making recommendations to senior management.
- Project management experience including the coordination of interdivisional work teams.
You must also have:
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with various levels of staff within the City and other organizations.
- Detailed knowledge of energy conservation practices and technologies in commercial, industrial & residential buildings.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and establish good working relationships with staff at all levels in the organization as well as external clients.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines, prioritize and deal with conflicting work demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Ability to undertake numerical analyses.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. MS Excel, Word).
- Strong presentation and report writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to administer energy conservation and demand management programs.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2260387 Energy Consultant.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: