- Manages assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and maintenance of related data.
- Undertakes construction contract administration including preparation of change directive, change notices and RFQ’s and preparation of payment certificates.
- Ensures that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations. Assists in preparation of capital and operating budget related to assigned projects.
- Gathers and refines project scope and determines financial impact of projects/proposals
- Prepares and inspects drawings, engineering studies, specifications, plans and cost estimates as they pertain to assigned projects
- Provides technical advice, review and expertise, and utilizes standard engineering principles and practices to assist in the operation, development and maintenance of works infrastructure and related services.
- Prepares engineering analysis, evaluates and recommends new systems, work procedures and technologies with the potential to improve performance of the division
- Responsible for carrying out varied engineering assignments within a broad field of engineering.
- Formulates design concepts for engineering problems and sets scope and parameters of projects.
- Undertakes the testing and implementation of design concepts to meet functional requirements.
- Conducts studies, surveys, research and development for the effective solution of engineering issues. Initiates and leads technical studies and projects.
- Directs project team staff to ensure timelines are met
- Secures all engineering permits and approvals as may be required from external agencies
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of technological developments in the field of engineering
- Represents City on committees, attends meetings and provides input
- Liaises with the media, public, developers, consultants, stakeholders, councillors, other divisions and government agencies about projects, programs and developments
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government
- Plans, investigates and prepares reports and recommendations concerning engineering problems of moderate complexity and/or assists senior engineers to resolve more complex problems.
- Ensures problem solving by use of combination of standard procedures, modification of standard procedures or methods developed in previous assignments.
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- Experience applying the principles of Engineering related to roads, sewers, watermains, retaining walls and water and solid waste treatment facilities.
- Project Management experience in an Engineering Environment as related to roads, sewers, watermains, retaining walls and solid waste treatment facilities.
- Knowledge and the ability to apply relevant legislation, standards, Acts, By-laws, and Regulations including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Proficiency in the use of general computer software including Microsoft Windows XP, Excel and Word.
- Ability to read, interpret and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate projects and meet required timelines.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing at all organizational levels.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information in a user friendly capacity.
- Highly developed interpersonal and team skills with the ability to collaborate and work effectively with contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of staff.
- Must have an understanding of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
- Must have a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence and have daily access to a serviceable vehicle for travel to various work and project sites across the City.
Please note: The salary/rate reflects 2016 rates
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.