Reporting to the Supervisor of Design for Streetcar Way & Special Projects in the Design & Construction Transportation Infrastructure section of the Engineering & Construction Services division, the successful candidate will provide engineering designs for the preparation of multi-disciplinary municipal linear infrastructure construction projects under the Capital Works Program. Incumbent will receives work directions from Professional Engineers and/or Civil Engineering Technologist.
- Prepares engineering designs, technical drawings, maps, sketches and reports for existing and proposed sewers, watermains, stormwater facilities, roadways, TTC track allowance and other municipal infrastructure using Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software (Microstation & InRoads) for the Capital Works Program.
- Prepares and reviews design requirements, specifications, reports and technical documentation related to the Capital Works Program.
- Performs and/or reviews research and calculations and analyzes technical data.
- Conducts field investigations and studies for a variety of planned proposals, programs and projects.
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders such as operating divisions, Utility companies, developers, public, contractors, consultants, architects etc. at various stages of design process.
- Provides functional direction to staff.
- Assists the Engineers and carries out technical work for the planning, design, tendering, construction and inspection of municipal infrastructure.
- Carries out engineering office functions.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Graduate in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable design experience in complex linear infrastructure including roads, sewers and watermains.
- Considerable experience utilizing Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) such as Bentley Microstation and Inroads to produce alignments, profiles, cross-sections, area/volume reports as well as other computer software used in a design environment including Microsoft Office suite.
- Considerable experience in interpreting and applying relevant regulations, statutes, standards and practices related to design of linear infrastructure such as Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Provincial Standards Specifications (OPSS), Ontario Provincial Standards Drawings (OPSD), Transportation Association of Ontario (TAC), Ministry of the Environment (MOE).
You must also have:
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and documents, e.g. plans and profiles, surveys, specifications, etc.
- Advanced understanding in the principles and application of Civil Engineering theories, methods and practices.
- Advanced knowledge of construction practices and methods.
- Advanced analytical skills with the ability to perform manual and computerized mathematical calculations in an engineering environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
- Ability to provide work direction to other staff.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize and work with minimal supervision.
- Advanced problem solving, project coordination skills and the ability to exercise independent judgement in dealing with technical matters.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s License Class “G” and be eligible to write and pass the tests required to receive a City driver’s licence needed to operate a city vehicle.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected] , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.