Equipment Operator Labourer
JOB ID: C53-23 Temporary Full Time (Non-Union)
LOCATION: Operations Centre – 635666 Highway 10, Mono
Reporting to the Operations Working Foreperson, the Equipment Operator/Labourer is responsible for driving trucks and operating heavy equipment in the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, and signs for the Dufferin County road system. This position is responsible for keeping the roads safe for commuters and the community in general (e.g., plowing winter roads, road maintenance). This position also responds to inquiries from the public while out on the roads.
What we can offer YOU!
- A competitive hourly wage ranging between $29.55 – $34.57
- Eligible to enroll in OMERS pension plan
- Access to Perkopolis; discount, reward and benefits program
- Access to an Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Unlimited access to live and interactive webinars offered by the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI)
- A supportive and collaborative work environment.
What you’ll do
- Operate a tandem snowplow complete with sand/salter and wing
- Operate a wheeled loader to load sand and salt on to winter maintenance vehicles and push back snowbanks
- Monitor road conditions, hazards and create work orders for maintenance activities
- Respond to emergency calls received from police, utilities and the public; provide support for road closures, inspections and clean up after collisions
- Erection and removal of snow fences
- Free drainage ditches and culverts from clogged snow and ice buildup
- Snow removal
- Perform all routine vehicle maintenance including daily safety check
- Patch potholes using cold or hot mix asphalt
- Repair roadside washouts
- Replace and repair road signs (e.g. Reglitory, Warning and Directional signs)
- Other tasks as assigned
What you’ll bring
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
- First Aid training
- Preferred 2 years of experience operating tandem snow plow-sander combination units and loaders and other heavy construction equipment
- Road construction experience
- Knowledge of road construction and maintenance best practices with ability to adapt practices to complex situations
- Must be compliant with the Commercial Vehicle Operator Registration
- Valid DZ driver’s license required
The County of Dufferin strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. To effectively do so, all positions at the County of Dufferin require a commitment to upholding the County’s equity mandate through on-going and mandatory training and examining our day-to-day operations and impacts through an equity lens. Therefore, throughout the selection process, candidates will have demonstrated their ability to be anti-racist, equitable, inclusive, and respectful.
Ready to apply?
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter before the closing date and time to: email@example.com
As an organization, we recognize the value of diverse perspectives and lived experiences, and the importance of creating an environment that embraces and supports these. We are committed to creating and fostering a workplace where all employees feel a sense of dignity and belonging. As such, we seek to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees with a variety of identities and backgrounds, to better reflect the growing diversity of our region.
We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples.
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin.
- Persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities.
- Persons who identify as women; and
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our workplace.
All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will receive a response. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of job selection and will not be used for any other reason. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.