1 Position: Fisheries Technician
The Anishinabek/Ontario Fisheries Resource Centre (A/OFRC) is a not-for-profit corporation established by agreement between the Grand Chief of the Anishinabek Nation and the Ontario Minister of Natural Resources to further the knowledge and conservation of fisheries resources of interest to member First Nations and Ontario’s stakeholders.
The A/OFRC is seeking an experienced fisheries technician with several years of field experience. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing fisheries data collection in the field in a supervisory/quality assurance role, archiving, analyzing and reporting fisheries data, off-season support functions related to the maintenance and care of equipment, and facilities, supervision of interns and acting as a resource in A/OFRC workshops. This permanent, full-time position will be based out of the Centre’s office in North Bay, Ontario but will involve travel throughout the Lake Superior and Lake Huron regions and southern Ontario in order to complete projects.
The position is open immediately.
Remuneration: $45-55K annual salary plus benefits
The ideal candidate will have:
- Graduation from a college or university of recognized standing with diploma/degree in a natural resource oriented field
- Several years of experience completing fisheries assessment projects, preferably including supervisory roles
- Proven leadership and organizational skills
- Valid MTO driver’s license and clean driving record
- SVOP and MED A3 certificates would be an asset
- Demonstrated report writing skills would be an asset
- Knowledge of or desire to learn about First Nations culture (demonstrated understanding of and sensitivity to the Anishinabek culture would be an asset)
- Some mechanical ability would be an asset
Given the traditional practices of the Anishinabek, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage or cedar, may occur within the work setting. Ability to speak Anishinabemowin is an asset.
Application Deadline: 22 February 2017
Potential candidates should provide a cover letter outlining their qualifications and a resume to the General Manager, A/OFRC, 755 Wallace Road, Unit #5, North Bay, Ontario, P1A 0E7. Applicants may also forward cover letters and resumes directly to firstname.lastname@example.org .