- British Columbia NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Food Service Associate
Date: Nov 5, 2021
Location: Waterloo, CA
Company: Wilfrid Laurier University
Department: Student and Ancillary Services
Job Type: Continuing
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Employee Group: UFCW
Requisition ID: 2851
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as a location in Kitchener. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here. As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our community. Within Food Services, our commitment is to provide the highest quality foods, prepared right in front of your eyes by friendly, energetic people in an open and relaxing atmosphere.
This position involves interacting with the public in a friendly and efficient manner, while delivering quick, accurate and clean service using a team approach. Employees must adhere to food standards and health and safety practices. This position requires the incumbent to stand continuously, moving around the kitchen or service area and possibly in and out of freezers and/or refrigerators. The work environment can be warm, noisy and occasionally crowded.
Food Preparation and Cooking
- Store, stock, wash, cut and cook products for recipes
- Prepare customized food and/or beverage items for customer
- Organize equipment, including the merchandising of station
- Keep station clean, neat and organized, practicing safe and sanitary preparation and service techniques
- Keep accurate production records and adhere to health and safety practices
Position may include operating:
- Induction cooking equipment
- Coffee and cappuccino machines
- Follow the “WEST” model for customer service (welcome, engage, smile and thank you) while taking orders and requests
- Interact with customers at station and exceed their service expectations
Policies and Procedures
- Follow and adhere to all food services policies and procedures, including, but not limited to:
- FIFO and Day Dot practices
- Food temperature checks
- Quality checking (i.e. expiration dates)
- Adhere to all government/University policies and legislation, including but not limited to:
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Workers Compensation
- Employment Standards
- Human Rights & Labour Law and Harassment
- Position may include maintaining Franchise standards (Starbucks, Subway, Tim Hortons, et.)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- High attention to detail
- Team orientated
- Continuously striving for improvement
- Previous experience in a food service operation is beneficial
- Knowledge of industrial cooking equipment or coffee equipment is preferred
- Ability to lift 10 – 30 pounds
Rate of Pay: $14.99
Hours of Work:
The Food Services operation is a seven day a week operation and you may be occasionally required to work outside your regularly scheduled work hours. This position is subject to lay-off in December, reading weeks and mid-April to September every year.
Both full and part time positions are available. Part time positions hours are a maximum of twenty-four (24) paid hours per week and full-time hours are a maximum of forty (40) paid hours per week, both with a maximum of eight (8) paid hours per day. These positions are represented by the United Food & Commercial Workers Canada (UFCW) bargaining unit.
Part time position, with a maximum of twenty-four (24) paid hours per week and a maximum of eight (8) paid hours per day. This position is represented by the United Food & Commercial Workers Canada (UFCW) bargaining unit.
Full-time position, with a maximum of forty (40) paid hours per week and a maximum of eight (8) paid hours per day. This position is represented by the United Food & Commercial Workers Canada (UFCW) bargaining unit.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: