Full-time, K-12 Northern Classroom Teachers
Teach For Canada is recruiting teachers for full-time classroom positions in First Nations in
Northern Ontario and Manitoba. Successful candidates will start teaching in September 2020.
Why we exist:
Education in Canada is a success story, but high overall quality masks deep inequality. The twin challenges of teacher supply and turnover compound historical injustice and systemic inequities to produce an education gap between First Nations and non-First Nations communities.
Teach For Canada is a non-profit organization that works with northern communities to recruit, prepare, and support committed teachers who will support student success in the North.
- Certified or certification-eligible to teach in a Canadian province or territory
- Legal working status in Canada for the minimum two-year teaching commitment
- Available to attend the Summer Enrichment Program from July 12-25th 2020 (plus travel days)
- Able to relocate and teach full-time in a northern First Nation
Who we look for:
- You have a strong, flexible teaching practice and are inclusive of all students. You may work with students who are below grade level or have to teach outside of your subject specialization. Our Teacher Development team will provide two years of classroom support.
- You are resilient and have established self-care strategies to overcome challenges. You can sometimes feel isolated and lonely, especially when trying to explain life in the community to family and friends. We will support you with a community of like-minded peers and access to counselling services.
- You want to work collaboratively with community members to incorporate local knowledge. It can be difficult to integrate First Nation cultures and languages, especially if they are new to you. Our Summer Enrichment Program will prepare you through workshops on Indigenous histories, cultures, and locally-responsive teaching approaches.
As an organization that works with First Nations, we value Indigenous perspectives in our program and encourage Indigenous candidates to apply.
2020 Selection Process:
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and you will hear back within two weeks of submission. The deadline to apply for this round of selection is March 25th, 2020.
- Introductory Interviews: select dates between March-April
- Fit Interviews: April 3-5
- Reference Checks: April 6-15
- Final selection: April 16th
First Nations partners will begin extending offers of employment to selected teachers in April 2020.
Suggested Next Steps: