Government Relations & Community Engagement Manager
Office of Government Relations & Community Engagement
Hiring #: 2022-0593
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The University of Guelph, highly ranked for providing comprehensive education and world-class research, is seeking a Government Relations Manager to be part of a team that works across the institution to advance the priorities of the university with all levels of government and our local communities. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Government Relations and Community Engagement, the Government Relations and Community Relations Manager (Manager) will work closely with colleagues within the unit and across campus to help coordinate and direct and institution wide government affairs and community engagement program. The role is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with government decision maker and developing and implementing strategies that to advance the University’s reputation and strategic priorities among target audiences.
The successful Government Relations & Community Engagement Manager has:
- understanding of the Ontario University system; sensitivity to political nuances and implications; knowledge of Ontario and Canadian university organizations such as COU and Universities Canada
- knowledge of post-secondary, public policy issues
- experience working in Government preferred
- knowledge of Municipal, Ontario and Canadian Government and political structures
- experience in complex multi structure environments
- demonstrated success in building and executing advocacy campaigns
- ability to develop and support relationships based on respect and partnership
- effective oral and written communication, creative thinking, organizational, analytical, logistical and problem-solving skills
- excellent organizational, analytical, writing and oral communication skills.
- ability to operate in a fast-paced, high volume, constantly changing, stressful environment, preferably with an appropriate sense of humour;
- ability to deal with a wide variety of individuals
- ability to use a range of software tools: Word, WordPerfect, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows, ability to effectively utilize the Web for references and research
- good listening skills; ability to sense underlying issues and/or concerns, is nimble and quick a thinker: must be able to multi-task many projects
- ability to act and work independently or in a team environment and to interact effectively with other staff, senior level administrators, and students
- professionalism: tact, diplomacy, discretion, patience, flexibility; keeps sensitive matters confidential
- initiative and is willing to take on new projects
Requirements of the position include a university degree in a related field such as in Political Science, Communication, Public Affairs or Journalism in order to develop critical thinking, analytic, verbal and written communication, time management, creative thinking and problem solving skills, understanding of organizational behaviour and / or principles of financial and economic matters to provide an understanding of the complexities of how a large organization, particularly an academic institution operates. This role may require work outside of regular hours of business.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations
Position Number 024-054
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 09 21
Closing Date: 2022 11 07