Grid Operations Field Manager
Date: Dec 14, 2020
Location: Thunder Bay, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
40604 – Thunder Bay – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Support the Zone Superintendent and the Director of Station Maintenance in implementing the business units goals/objectives/strategies by providing leadership, direction and supervision to staff at various worksite locations within Northern Zone (Kenora and Thunder Bay).
- Responsible for setting and/or meeting targets, developing programs and monitoring the continuous improvement of operations and staff performance.
- Ensures the administration of procedures, applicable legislation and the collective agreements are met.
- In conjunction corporate guidelines develops and monitors short term and long term safety programs.
- Plans, organizes and assigns work to staff as well as develops, implements and maintains adequate work methods, procedures and standards as required.
- Monitors work progress and ensures appropriate tools, equipment are available to meet work program needs and maintained in proper and safe working order.
- Manage the deployment of TWE within the unit (assigned part of a zone) to ensure optimum utilization of equipment.
- Administers and controls contract work within the work unit.
- Reviews work methods, ensures appropriate training for staff.
- Arranges installation, commissioning activities and provides onsite supervision as appropriate.
- Develops, maintains and enhances customer relationships through direct contract both internally and externally.
- Manage various technical and nontechnical support staff, as required.
Through collateral relationships with the Zone Superintendent and the Director, Station Maintenance and within context provided by the Superintendent, Station Maintenance, provide the following:
- Leadership, direction, coaching and counseling to staff involved in all facets of the execution of protection and control and station maintenance (including electrical, mechanical and civil trades and various technical support) work within the unit.
- Supervise, plan, organize and schedule the work of a diverse group of staff.
- Allocate work, staff and other resources to supervisors or staff as required, providing instruction and guidance as necessary.
- Review workload performance through reporting systems and by observing the overall effectiveness of the work groups and take steps to initiate correction required.
- Provide strategic human resource/labour relations management within the work unit including interviewing and selection and act as the contact supervisor for union issues.
- Be responsible for human resources/labour relations promotion, demotion, transfers and discipline, etc.
- Direct accountability for cost effective and timely completion of the work program, organizing resources, as necessary for maximum effectiveness.
- Modify the program to meet changing conditions.
- Prepare annual safety program.
- Monitor effectiveness of the program, participate/lead accident/incident investigations as required and initiate corrective action.
- Ensure completion of/or conduct safety analyses to identify and safeguard hazards for the job not covered by established procedures.
- Ensure identifications of hazards and appropriate barriers to all associated work units and advise Supervisor as required.
- Determine various technical, labour and scheduling requirements of assigned projects collaborating with various departments and resources to incorporate into Unit work program.
- Interpret and implement standards, procedures and work strategies for commissioning, maintaining or modifying station equipment.
- Recommend and/or participate in the development of policies, objectives, procedures and strategies.
- Ensure that proper work methods and procedures are followed.
- Review programs, plans, methods and procedures for costing and technical evaluations.
- Evaluate performance and productivity in the work groups.
- Manage the deployment of T&WE within the unit to ensure optimum utilization.
- Ensure work group schedules are prioritized and scheduled to align with the business unit priorities.
- Arrange for installation and commissioning as required.
- Maintain Customer relationships through direct contact with external customers in the assigned geographic area.
- Continuously seek out and capitalize on opportunities to improve Customer satisfaction.
- Requires a good knowledge of electrical theory, including instrumentation and operating characteristics of protection and control and power equipment.
- Requires a good knowledge of finance to monitor financial reports, forecast results and prepare business cases.
- Requires a good knowledge of English to prepare written reports and provide technical advice and guidance to others
- Requires extensive leadership experience working in an environment repairing a wide variety of power equipment (eg. Power transformers, breakers, etc) involving the electrical and mechanical discipline.
- Requires experience in initial inspection, trouble shooting and preventative maintenance.
- Requires experience to gain proficiency in dealing with a wide variety of problems and their solutions.
- Requires experience to be familiar with the area of operation, the location of major equipment, the relationship between business units, methods and procedures governing the work and the supervisory aspects involved.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the completion of 4 years of University training (Grade XII plus 5 years).
- A period of over 10 years and up to and including 12 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: January 4, 2021