Reporting to the Manager, Affordable Housing Development in the Affordable Housing Office, these incumbents, as part of a team, are responsible for leading the development of new affordable housing.
- Provides project oversight and facilitation for City approved affordable, transitional and supportive housing projects to meet housing targets as set out in the Council approved Housing Opportunities Toronto Action Plan 2010-2020
- Leads and prepares housing development proposal calls, and writes procurement documents for affordable housing allocations. Prepares allocation reports for Senior Management to Committees of Council
- Liaises with project proponents of affordable housing projects. Designs, leads and oversees the development proposal review process with staff from various City Divisions and other orders of Government
- Works with other City Divisions, Agencies, Boards and Corporations in determining the suitability of City-owned surplus properties for affordable housing and make recommendations on funding and incentives to support affordable housing development
- Reviews and evaluates private and non-profit sector affordable housing project proposals to programs such as the Open Door Program with regard to cost/benefit analysis, multi-year management plans, capital and operating budgets, architectural design and community engagement plans
- Makes recommendations on affordable housing projects regarding the selection of proponents and the allocation of funding
- Provides advice and direction to affordable housing project developers and their consultants on City policy, housing program delivery, project design and development, including developing and negotiating solutions in support of City policies and industry best practises
- Facilitates, negotiates and resolves existing and emerging issues in multiple stakeholder environments, liaising with elected officials, staff and senior management in other Divisions at the City, external agencies and other governments, members of the community, and the private sector
- Plans, prepares and organizes public and community based meetings. Makes presentations and facilitates community acceptance of affordable housing projects in partnership with local Councillors, Proponents, and City Planning staff
- Facilitates the expediting of development approvals for affordable housing projects through Planning, Building and other City Divisions
- Conducts construction site visits, attends site meetings to monitor construction progress and responds to matters requiring attention
- Monitors cash flow, capital budgets and construction schedules, prepares variance reports and recommends payments for affordable housing projects
- Reviews and advises on legal documents (e.g. such as funding agreements, land leases, long term contracts, agreements) to City Solicitors
- Initiates, oversees and conducts complex research, analysis and data management activities in support of housing and housing policy and program development
- Provides information, analysis and advice on emerging issues and trends, policy and program changes and strategies, to advance the creation of affordable housing in Toronto
- Leads and co-ordinates City staff, colleagues, support staff and interns to ensure efficient and effective delivery of all work projects
- Plans, facilitates and represents the City’s interest at public and stakeholder meetings, workshops and charrettes
- Acts as expert witness before the Ontario Municipal Board as required.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary degree in planning, architecture, urban studies, community development or related degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in the management of housing development, including the facilitation and coordination of related projects.
- Experience working in multi-stakeholder environments (e.g. delivering community consultation, engagement and organization), within at least two of the following areas: public, private and/or community organizations.
- Experience leading and working within divisional project teams, as well as inter-divisionally.
- Experience reviewing, analyzing and advising on legal documents pertaining to affordable housing.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of issues pertinent to the reuse of non-residential lands and buildings and of revitalization of residential areas.
- Familiar with a range of types and scales of infill residential development.
- Excellent knowledge of issues related to residential development including the relevant legislation and by-laws affecting land use development and construction including City requirements such as the Toronto Green Standard.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and political acuity to communicate, and work with a broad range of stakeholders including community representatives, senior management and political representatives.
- The ability to write reports, conduct research and analysis.
- Experience using a variety of computer software packages including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and database software programs.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2265272 and the job classification title.