- Amendment: Please note the pay rate has been amended
- The Salary/Rate (Hourly) reflects the 2017 rates
Reporting to the Manager, Plan Review. The Housing Zoning Building Examiner will examine plans and related documents for residential building permit applications for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, Zoning Bylaw and related regulations.
- Examine, correct, sign and approve plans and specifications submitted for residential building permit applications within fast track time frames. Ensure compliance with the Building Code, Zoning By Laws and Applicable Laws. Verifies that materials and methods of construction meet approved standards and construction practices
- Research and refer to records, zoning maps, plans of survey and property data maps for restrictive by-laws and zoning designations. Ascertain exact locations of property corner lots, public lanes, rights of way etc. and provides guidance on the building permit process
- Liaise with applicants, owners, other divisions and agencies to obtain approvals
- Analyze, verify and apply information from the Committee of Adjustment and OMB decisions, files, plans assessment rolls and by-laws
- Prepare examiners’ zoning and building code deficiency notices and documents examination details on prescribed forms
- Perform calculations to evaluate land use restrictions, construction costs, permit fees and applicable charges. Prepares related correspondence
- Input and update application information into the divisional data base
- Approve residential applications for permit issuance
- Answer inquiries related to residential construction with respect to the Ontario Building Code, Zoning by-laws and Applicable Laws.
- Discuss technical issues such as Building Code and zoning by-laws on related permit applications with inspection staff and attend sites as necessary with the inspector to resolve construction problems
- Appear and give evidence in court and at Ontario Municipal Board hearings on zoning and Building Code matters
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience in a building construction environment with an emphasis on the development process.
- Experience working with the Zoning Bylaw and Ontario Building Code.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as architectural technology, building science or civil engineering technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience using a computer for data entry and information retrieval, including electronic mark up of submitted plans.
- Holds or in the process of obtaining all courses necessary in the following categories per the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs: General Legal and House.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations relevant to building construction.
- Ability to read and interpret surveys, site plans, architectural and structural drawings and perform accurate calculations pertaining thereto.
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of building construction and related legislation.
- Good verbal and written communications skills with the ability to maintain positive relations in a team environment.
- Basic knowledge and training with IBMS would be an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: