Reporting to the Manager of Employee Health, Rehabilitation and Employee Assistance Program (EAP), this position is responsible for providing proactive disability and occupational health services to the employees of the City of Toronto in order to minimize the impact of illness and injury for the employee and the workplace.
- Coordinates medical and functional assessments and interprets the results in order to make appropriate recommendations where an employee’s health issues impact work function
- Refers and works closely with internal and external resources to ensure that health assessments, treatment and rehabilitation programs support maximum functional recovery of ill and injured employees
- Provides consultation and works cooperatively with other human resources staff, managers, health care professionals and union representatives to ensure the delivery of effective integrated disability management
- Displays flexibility to meet the needs of the situation while still following policies, procedures and guidelines
- Identifies multiple cause and effect relationships in situations involving numerous options, diverse stakeholders and a large volume of information
- Makes recommendations regarding compliance with corporate policies and procedures related to disability management and occupational health
- Assists in the development and assessment of integrated disability and occupational health programs
- Provides (RNs only) primary and emergency care to employees and members of the public
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a health specialty or equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference may be given to candidates with the following health specialty: a B.Sc. degree in Nursing with specialty designation in Occupational Health Nursing (or certification in Disability Management)
- Considerable experience in and proven knowledge of disability management and occupational health theory and practice
- Experience in interpreting medical and functional information and the ability to communicate this information, within policy and legal bounds, to divisions within the organization
- Experience in providing health surveillance programs, such as pre-placement assessments, would be an asset
- Knowledge of pertinent legislation, e.g., Occupational Health and Safety, Human Rights and Health Disciplines Act, with the ability to communicate its significance and relevancy to each situation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with all levels of staff and union representatives.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal and presentation skills that are applicable to all levels of the organization
- Proficiency with City standard desktop software applications (e.g.: Excel, MS Access, MS Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected], quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: