- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
IT Project Portfolio Manager
Date: Jan 11, 2022
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
43239 – Toronto – Regular – ongoing
Safety Comes First is a core value at Hydro One, and we remain committed to taking every reasonable precaution to ensure a respectful, safe and healthy working environment. Further to this commitment, we have adopted a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy to protect the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19. Employees will be required to either be fully vaccinated or undergo regular rapid antigen testing in order to access a Hydro One worksite.
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Program Manager reporting to the Director of Portfolio Management. This person will oversee and manage ISD Project delivery for IT Operations team to achieve targeted business outcomes and improvements. Accountabilities include supporting the planning, kick off, resourcing, cost management, and governance oversight for identified IT Projects.
Work closely with line of business stakeholders to influence and address their use of technology to improve their processes and work functions. Take an active role in the annual work program of complex technology projects over the full project life-cycle. Provide leadership, guidance and technical expertise in the management of projects, directing staff, contractors and vendor personnel with respect to execution of projects, monitoring of activities and achievements, maintenance of schedules and monitoring of costs.
- Work closely with a variety of groups within the Company on several aspects of the annual program development and delivery function, including investment plan, business plan, budget, business case approvals, planning activities focusing on the integration of system and
- technology plans with the goals, objectives, budgets and strategies of the various line organizations. Be responsible of how the business will evolve through deployment of new technology.
- Work collaboratively with the other direct reports within the Department and stakeholders from lines of business to integrate diverse requests for technology changes relative to strategies and objectives, evaluate options and synthesize optimal specifications and timely plans
- for enhancements to the technology platform. Coordinate stakeholders to create consensus on requirements which will be translated into business applications. Facilitate documentation of these requirements. Ensure projects remain aligned to business strategies and requirements and
- account for ongoing sustainment impacts in a proactive fashion.
- Work with other utilities, regulatory bodies, professional services organizations, system software vendors and key stakeholders inside and outside of Canada as required to facilitate the timely and cost-effective delivery of the appropriate scope of projects in the best
- interest of the Company. Influence these other parties to adopt a course of action that is suitable for the Company. Liaise with specialists within and outside the company for the exchange of data and consultation in areas of mutual interests and to integrate the recommendations into
- the overall strategies and program plans. Make progress reports to supervisor and stakeholders at significant stages of work development.
- Manage staff engaged in the development and implementation of complex projects. Plan, schedule and assign the work, provide guidance and check the work to maintain quality, accuracy and productivity. Select an optimum course of action and make recommendations to
- Supervisor where alternative solutions are available.
- Manage staffing needs, interview/selection process, staff development and adherence to HR/Corporate policies and administer department budget. Monitor work progress and quality; conduct performance reviews and provide direction on problem areas. Provide
- effective recommendations to Supervisor concerning promotions, transfers, pay, disciplinary action, etc. of staff within the department per collective agreements. Develop succession plans and provide on the job staff development. Monitor and recommend changes to control and meet
- Take an active role in highly complex multi-year projects aimed at implementing required new functions, system evolution and sustainment refresh of the technology supporting multiple lines of business within the Company. Manage several small to mid-size projects while estimating,
- planning and overseeing entire program of in-scope projects being implemented by other project managers, technical staff and service providers.
- Help create and support implementation of Project Management best practices within the Program Management Office. Facilitate, with other areas of BIT, the application of standards, methodologies and architectures.
- Lead and coordinate the review and evaluation of proposals. Negotiate contracts with external stakeholders and contract changes, project change orders, work schedules and requirements changes, as required to meet project objectives.
- Manage and maintain project plans, develop action plans for issues, track risk mitigation plans, make recommendations as necessary to advance project. Review project and project status documentation for integrity, accuracy and timeliness. Report on project status and metrics
- including progress, earned value metrics, baseline, forecast and actual dates, costs and scope to external and internal stakeholders. Create & maintain a project library and coordinate the collection and filing of project documentation for audit and continuous improvement purposes.
- Managerial Accountabilities
- Manage and motivate staff and contractors on projects to deliver project methodology results within budget and schedule.
- Negotiate and influence behaviour of vendors and service providers to achieve desired results.
- Communicate and translate Hydro One Strategies and direction to staff, contractors and vendors to align project objectives in achieving goals within the Strategy
- Build team alignment amongst staff, contractors and vendor personnel with diverse backgrounds many of whom will be working together for the first time, for during the duration of a project.
- Demonstrate business acumen by translating technical options into business objectives.
- Resolve technical, business and personnel issues; escalate unresolved issues in a timely manner to supervisors.
Accountability for the output of others:
- Set appropriate expectations, priorities and context for subordinates (i.e., Corporate and Network Asset Management objectives, strategies and policies, accountabilities, tasks, budget and programs, compliance and performance targets, expectations for continuous
- improvement, etc).
- Work with supervising subordinates to set an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work of the unit.
- Know, and ensure own and subordinates’ compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements and all Hydro One corporate and business unit policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices relating to the work of the business.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with subordinates to solicit their views on conditions and potential changes affecting their work, and establishing continuous improvement program opportunities.
Maintaining a team that is capable of producing the outputs required:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a staffing strategy for the Operations Technology Department that will ensure the long term sustainment of the high expertise resources required for this function. Develop and mentor subordinates and implement other strategies
- to ensure smooth succession.
- Ensure staff is able and willing to produce the desired output
- Assess staff capability to do the required work now and in the future
- Conduct staff performance reviews to improve staff effectiveness
Providing a safe and healthy work environment:
- Provide staff with appropriate knowledge, skills, information, work procedures and equipment to facilitate responsible behaviour which will protect their safety and contribute to their health
- Provide a work environment and facilities where health and safety incidents are minimized and employees are not dissatisfied
- Provide a work environment that supports and values diversity and is free from harassment
- Know and ensure that subordinates comply with all legal and regulatory requirements, Corporate business unit and local policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices related to their work
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2021.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: January 17, 2022
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: